My slow maid

Discussion in 'Karnataka' started by venviji, Aug 22, 2011.

1. venviji

venviji New IL'ite

Hi

I have a maid who lives with us. She apparently is weak, very slow at work, not smart at work, and above all argues if you try to explain or teach her work, plus she denies some of the chores or just postpones them. It's not even two months for her at work and she is asking for a raise.

Many of my family members/friends were surprised how I was managing with her workwise because she takes probably thrice the amount of time for a particular work as compared to an average person. Work is below average.

I give her the freedom to work, take good care in terms of her health and provide good facilities. I am also planning to take her to a doctor to get her health checked.

How do I handle this lady and let her know her real situation and that nobody would like to employ a person with such attitude plus the inability to work.

I really hope I am not doing something wrong.

Thanks,

2. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Dear venviji,
    I understand what you are going through..A couple of months back i decided to hire a full time maid as i am a working women and have a 1 yr old baby and my mom who takes care of my DD needs help....So we hired a person near by my inlaws home..She is a 16 yr old girl and when she was home was listening to all mom was saying..but whenever she goes to mils place she used to complain her..How my mom took care of my baby in a bad way..how my mom neglected her..how mom gave her loads of work..how my mom was giving food etc..what not...and spoiled image of my mom before everyone...one day she said their parents arranged for wedding and left....2000rps was still on there side..still she left and later we found my diamond studs were missing................................ALL i could think of now is ..Oh my god..and i now think BIG NO NO for full time maids...Hope here other ladies could give u suggestion for your prob ..just wanted to tell you what could also happen beyond imaginations

1 person likes this.
  3. vidyacvn

vidyacvn Silver IL'ite

Maids are inevitable but we really do need to keep them under check. I have recently hired a maid who did her work very well in the beginning. But as i expected, she started giving me the slip whenever i was a little busy and got away without doing things. have decided to be strict with her

4. Mahanu

Mahanu Silver IL'ite

Viji,

If your maid is not upto the mark, then why do you want to continue with her?

In my opinion, if you continue with her even after knowing that she is not good at what was expected from her, she will develop a don't care attitude towards you and start to take you for a ride, exploiting the situation that you are dependent on her. So, tell her clearly what you expect and if she is not going to reach that level within the given time, she will be fired as a maid is employed only to assist us in work and not the other way round. Also, give her the option to quit immediately, if she is not ready to abide by your requirements.

2 people like this.
  5. venviji

venviji New IL'ite

Hi Lavii,

Sorry about the delayed reply. That's really sad! It's so difficult to get good maids these days.

Thanks,
    Vijayshree

6. venviji

venviji New IL'ite

You are right Vidya, we are so dependent on maids these days...I did tell my maid her real situation but she was okay for a few days before she started it again....

7. venviji

venviji New IL'ite

Hi Mahanu,

Thanks for your suggestion

I have done what you said but she doesnt seem to understand. Probably because she has never worked before. And she happens to be from my native so sending her back is another time taking task for me...Will give her some more time and see what to do.

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

OP:
    How old is this maid that you are complaining about?

9. harryps

harryps New IL'ite

pay her slowly in installments...

10. RADIODOC679

RADIODOC679 Gold IL'ite

Hi!
    Be firm with any maid from the beginning.this will not expose our weakness in front of them and also less chance of exploiting from their side.Also if you give advance make it like one third of salary etc.. so you can recover .And never ,never leave any money/jewelllery/cell phone lying around even if your maid is sincere.Why give them temptation.We are paying and utilizing service not taking free obligations.And please never ,ever discuss family issues/neighbour/hubby issues in front of them,Take care.

1 person likes this.