- 3 Post By Nettem
- 1 Post By djain
25th March 2012, 06:15 PM #1
Olive oil health benefits
Here's what makes it special:
- Highest content of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) which reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides.
- High MUFA helps to prevent heart disease, high blood pressure and brain haemorrhage.
- Oleic acid reduces the risk of breast cancer, according to the latest research at Northwestern University. Oleic acid blocks the action of a cancer causing oncogene called HR-2/neu, which is found in about 30% breast cancer patients. Oleic acid also improves the effectiveness of the breast cancer drug Herceptin, a targeted therapy that works against the HR-2/neu gene. The most important source of oleic acid is olive oil.
- Rich source of vitamins A, D, E, K, Beta-carotene and other antioxidants help prevent other cancers, reduce the effects of aging and increase life expectancy significantly.
- An Olive-oil based herbal extract preparation called Zyflamend suppresses the growth of prostate cancer cells and induces prostate cancer cells to self-destruct, according to a study by the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons reported in the journal Nutrition and Cancer. Zyflamend has the ability, in culture, to reduce prostate cancer cell growth by as much as 78% and induce cancer cell death or "apoptosis". Phase 1 clinical trials for men are currently being conducted.
- Oleocanthal in Extra Virgin Olive Oil mimics ibuprofen, relieving pain and reducing inflammation. In turn, consumption of chronic low-dose anti-inflammatories, including aspirin and ibuprofen, are believed to result in multiple health benefits that include reducing the risk of heart disease, stroke and certain cancers, breast, lung, colon and terminal dementias such as Alzheimer's.
- Olive oil helps to prevent and control diabetes, facilitates the digestion system, prevents formation of gallstones, reduces dementia as well as protects the tone of the skin and hair.
- Olive oil's natural fat is similar to that of mother's milk, which enhances mineralization and the absorption of calcium, thus stimulating growth of the bone-system and preventing osteoporosis.
- Two tablespoons of olive oil on an empty stomach can help to relieve chronic constipation.
Most doctors today recommend a complete switchover to olive oil post cardiac problems. Why not switch earlier and prevent problems before they arise?
Different grades of Olive OIL
Extra virgin olive oil:
It is the highest grade olive oil with perfect aroma and flavour. EV oil is got from the first cold pressing of the olive fruit within 24 hours of harvesting. It is heavy, and its viscosity is higher than other grades of olive oil and therefore, it is mainly use is for preparing cold dishes: dressing salads, pasta, rice and vegetables, meat and fish.
This variety is a combination of refined olive oil and EV olive oil. Refined olive oil is obtained by refining oil that does not possess optimum characteristics. After refining, the oil is blended with EV oilive ol. Olive oil is an intermediate grade oil the best. Well, not really. At least, not for preparing Indian dishes. EV olive oil may be best in flavour, but its flavour is so strong that it can change the taste of the dish! Also, deep-frying in EV olive oil is not advisable as it is heavy and viscous as compared to other grades of olive oil. Therefore, EV olive oil is suitable for only flavouring, dressings and condiments or for integrating foods – like making cold sauces, crushing ingredients and preparing Carpaccio or marinated dishes.
So then, what is the best option? Olive pomace oil. It is the cooking grade oil, and is used all over Italy, Spain and the Mediterranean for every type of cooking. Pomace oil is not costly, is light and has neutral with medium aroma and flavour, suitable for pan and deep frying, stir-fries, sautÚs and stews. It is also suitable for all types of body massage.
Olive pomace oil:
This is the main cooking grade oil variety. It is a light oil with neutral taste and flavour and is the most suitable oil for Indian cuisine as it does not change the flavour or taste of any preparation. This oil is obtained by treating the olive residue paste (after the fruit has been pressed) with solvents to extract oil, refining and then blending this product with EV oil in order to enhance the product and its health benefits, taste and flavour. And, this oil is ideal for cooking all types and varieties of Indian dishes. It neither changes the taste nor presents any difficulties while cooking. Indian cuisine, whether fried, roasted, 'bhunoed' or cooked by any other method, tastes as good with Olive Pomace oil as it does when prepared in sunflower, safflower, corn or any other oil. Also, when frying at between 130 and 190 o C, olive oil forms a crisp, golden crust making the fried food much more appetizing but without affecting its nutritional value, as the oil hardly penetrates the food, leaving it light and digestible. Each portion of this oil used for deep frying may be reused 3-4 times as long as it is filtered carefully after each use through a gauze, muslin or a suitable paper filter.
And this one's for those who think the oil is really costly: Yes, any grade of olive oil costs more than other edible oils. But look at it this way: It takes only 1/3rd the quantity of other edible oils to cook in olive oil, and since it has a high smoking point, it can be reused 3-4 times. Therefore, the effective cost of olive oil is 1/9th of its actual price!
Cooking with Olive OIL
Olive oil is perfect for Indian cuisine and, what's more, it isn't even expensive, as long as you use it correctly.
Some consumers report that cooking Indian cuisine with Extra Virgin Olive Oil changes the flavour of the food and that frying with it presents difficulties. Keep your Extra Virgin for flavourings, dressings, condiments or for integrating foods, like making cold sauces, crushing ingredients and preparing carpaccio or marinated dishes.
Olive Oil, the intermediate category oil, does not have the lightness and neutrality required to cook Indian cuisine. Use it for preparing Continental or Mediterranean cuisine.
Olive Pomace Oil is the cooking grade oil and can be used for all methods, types and varieties of Indian cooking; it neither changes the taste nor presents any difficulties while cooking. Indian cuisine, whether fried, roasted, 'bhunoed' or cooked by any other method, tastes as good with Olive Pomace Oil as with Sunflower, Safflower, Corn or any other oil.
The benefits of olive oil are especially apparent when frying at between 130 and 190?C, when olive oil forms a crisp, golden crust making the fried food much more appetizing but without affecting its nutritional value. The oil hardly penetrates the food, leaving it light and digestible. Olive oil does not break down before the temperature reaches 190?C! So, it may be re-used 3-4 times, as long as it is filtered carefully after each use through gauze, muslin or a suitable paper filter.
Value for Money! Olive Pomace Oil is the lowest priced olive oil. What's more, it is used in 1/3rd the quantity of other edible oils. Since Olive Oil has a high smoking point, it can also be reused 3-4 times. Used in 1/3rd the quantity and reusable 3 times, the effective cost of Olive Oil is 1/9th its actual price!
How to Taste OLive OIL
- Olive trees in different areas bear fruit with different characteristics. Olive oil tasting thus becomes necessary to appreciate the character and personality of an olive oil. Colour does not reflect quality and professional tasters use a dark blue glass so that they cannot be influenced by the oil's colour. If you want to experience the rich aroma and flavour of olive oil, try this at home:
- Pour approximately 1 tablespoon of Leonardo Olive Oil in a small glass. Cover the glass with one hand and shake it delicately until the oil sticks on to the entire inside surface.Warm the oil in the glass with your hands till it is close to body temperature.
- Lift the glass to your nose and sniff thrice, deeply (raising your nose up and away from the oil between each sniff). Olive oils have aromas just like wine.
- Tasting: Take a sip (approx. 10 drops into mouth). Roll the olive oil around in your mouth for approximately 5 seconds. The oil should touch all areas of the mouth so that the various tastes and sensations can be noted.
- Between tasting each kind of olive oil, drink lots of water and eat a small piece of bread to cleanse your palate.
The terms used in olive oil tasting are similar to those used in wine tasting. A good oil should be balanced, with body and round flavours that develop in the mouth. General terms such as fruity, mature, pungent, bitter or sweet are used alongside other more specific associations such as grass, green leaves, almond or apple.
You Might Find These Useful:
26th March 2012, 11:43 AM #2
Re: Olive oil health benefits
Thanks you so much for sharing this information!
I am always in doubt when it comes to olive oil as i m not having much details about it! I always go n read for it when go for grocery shopping but never satisfied hence have never tried it.
But your detailed post has not only cleared all my doubts but has improved my knowledge abt it !
once again thanks for such a informative post!
All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:03 AM.