1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mangalsutra chains

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by brindaarun, Sep 22, 2009.

1. brindaarun

brindaarun Silver IL'ite

Hi ILs

I would like to know, how to make the mangalsutra chains (fully in gold). currenlty i am wearning as a gold chain and at the bottom the yellow rope tied with mangalsutra & gold coins. (Lakshmi kasu)

But i want it to make it with a full gold chain... any idea? pls suggest me..

2. brindaarun

brindaarun Silver IL'ite

38 views no replies ???

3. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I too wear the same kind of Magalsutra/ Thaali, and have been wanting to get it done in gold. I guess you can get it done in any jewellery shop. They will add an extra gold chain to the existing chain and put mangalsutra and coins in the chain. Basically, instead of the yellow thread, a gold chain is added. If you tell the shop in advance, they can keep the chain ready and you can get it done then and there. So you will not have to remove the mangalsutra and leave it with them.

Hope I could explain it:)

Regards,
    Yamuna.

4. brindaarun

brindaarun Silver IL'ite

Hi Yamuna

Thanks for ur suggestions... Currenlty i have a knot placed for between each coin , so that the coins wont clash.. But if we do in gold how do they put. Am i required to buy a small bead like gold to put next to coins?

Any designs if u seen pls post pic.. This is to get idea only...

5. sreepadmav

sreepadmav Junior IL'ite

as per tradition in my in-laws home, i use thread to add these beads to chain, but my mom and others get it done in gold shop. they use a thin gold rod like one in which beads and other stuff are put and connect to chain

6. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Hi If I understand ur problem u have (gold Kodi -thick gold chain )
    + yellow thread roughly 3 to 4 inches where u place ur mangalyam and u want it all in gold . Go to any traditional jeweller and tell them u need a small chain for putting mangalyam.They can make a small chain. This has to be slightly thinner and have more links (so that it can bend) (about 3 inches in length) . U can place all ur mangalyan and kasu in it and they will fix it to the 'kodi'. If u want the kasus not to clash there are things called "patta gundu" (golden flat beads) available which u can place between kasus or mangalyam from ur mom side and IL side .

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011