1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

emerald strings

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by manmita, May 8, 2014.

1. manmita

manmita New IL'ite

Hi friends,

I love emerald beads /strings made into necklaces . My relative bought it in a jewelery show in the US. She said 2 strings 18" long, with 7 mm beads cost her $400 in 2006, now she says those cost about $850. Are those really that expensive and can there be such a price hike in 6 or 7 years. She says that her emeralds are high quality though. Any suggestions ?

2. rainbowresh

rainbowresh Gold IL'ite

Hi Manmita,
    It is very tough to reply to your query because the price is tough to gauge for anyone however I am going to give you two links for you to get a general idea about emerald market in USA. Now what you need to find out from your relative are the following, to get a rough idea if the price is okay:
    1. The size of beads,
    2. The clarity of the gems
    3. The karat of gem and if it has a certificate/document declaring all this given by some gem valuating firm or the jeweler them self in some cases.
    Now if the stuff has no certificate whatsoever, refuse it downright. Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but I know we women are crazy about greens(bottle greens specially!!!) ;-) but there are many fairs and jewel shows all around the world where cheap stuff is hyped and sold.
    Check with all the info online. Good luck buying emeralds.

Snemani likes this.
  3. manmita

manmita New IL'ite

Thanks for the response rainbowresh. Yes like most women I am crazy about emeralds. I have been looking for a good set of emerald strings to buy and realized stellar emeralds [ columbian etc ] are very expensive. May be i'll just buy emerald beads in a gem show , and you are right about all the hype there but I love green. Thanks for the info again.