1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

has anyone purchased 14k gold jewelery outside india? how does it compare to our gold

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by priya2782, Nov 1, 2013.

1. priya2782

priya2782 New IL'ite

I'm thinking of buying a14k gold piece for myself here, I like the design but not sure if it would stand well like our 22k pieces from india. Does anybody have any experience to share..all advice welcome

2. Sarah1985

Sarah1985 New IL'ite

Re: has anyone purchased 14k gold jewelery outside india? how does it compare to our

From my experience, 14K is not bad but definitely not as same as 22K. You might be able to find better designs in 14k though.

3. priya2782

priya2782 New IL'ite

Re: has anyone purchased 14k gold jewelery outside india? how does it compare to our

thnx for the reply sarah..
    I was hoping for a comparison from someone who owns both kinds of jewelry 14 & 22,...seems like not many hav purchased 14k but as Indians it's underssandable as we luv our 22k

4. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

hi priya,

I have bought 18 carat jewelry in US a couple of times.. one time it was white gold with CZ stones..and the other was diamonds with yellow gold.. both are good even now.. I think I bought them a couple of years ago..

Of course they are not as shiny as our 22 ct counterparts from India.. but they are durable and easy to wear for parties and functions..even daily wear is possible.

5. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

if ur looking for designer jewelry u can try 18k which is good if maintained well.. not sure abt 14k...

6. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

14k is stronger than 22k, less soft. Not quite as shiny, but it can vary in color depending on what metals are in the alloy.

Definitely good for everyday wear, and can take quite a beating. My original wedding band was 14k yellow gold, and when it was cut off it took almost an hour and four different grinding wheels! It needed to come off for surgery, and it no longer fit over my knuckle (plus I never really liked it-too wide for my finger). 14k can also be used for designs that 22k is too soft for, and dings and scratches buff out without losing much of the metal.

My 22k stuff I wear only on special occasions, as I find that the bangles get misshapen and are not the same shape as they were when I put them on.

1 person likes this.
  7. priya2782

priya2782 New IL'ite

helpmeangel..thnx for sharing ..I hav a chain in 18k too, not as shiny but OK..I jus loved this design, not available in 18 but only 14k so I wondered if it wud be good value for my money or not?

8. priya2782

priya2782 New IL'ite

cissyboo..my bangles bent too but I think they wud hav fared better if they weighed more , the other 2 set of bangles that my parents gave were heavier than wat my in laws gave & didn't bend at all:confused2:..anyways I knw it wud be sturdier becoz of more aloy present it , my concern was how shinier it wud in daily use, I don't want it to look brassy..shud I just go ahead & purchase it or just wait until I can get it made in india?

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Cissyboo has exactly explained why 14k is so common in USA: the strength. Please be sure to investigate all the colors of 14k here: white, yellow, pink, and green. Styles like Black Hills gold are pretty with the pink flowers and green leaves.

10. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

I think 18kt is better than 14kt in weight , quality and colour. Any jewellery iwth diamonds, rubies etc is alwasy sent in 18k even in India, plain gold is 22kt in India. I suggest you look for 18kt vs 14kt, there is a difference. OF course you cannot compare 18k to 22kt, but if you have no choice or like a design go for 18kt