1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

18 K gold

Discussion in 'Jewelry & Accessories' started by rayhaan, Aug 16, 2013.

1. rayhaan

rayhaan Bronze IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I have been eyeing on 18 K gold diamond rings from the website Jewelskart.

Can somebody help me on durability of 18 K jewels, are the same as our usual 22 K jewels.

Will they be durable enough, can I spend my money in buying them.

There a lot of beautiful rings available, but I am very skeptical to buy them.

Also please let me know the resale value,will they be accepted for resale...

Thanks.

2. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    Who will say NO to invest in gold.:)

In my experience,the shops hesitate to take 18k since while melting it again,the gold weight will be lesser.Loss for them the buyers.For this,they depreciate the jewel value as wastage.
    You will be paid only for the gold,as metals have no resale value(some exceptional)..The less gold content in a piece of jewelry, the less money it will be worth to anyone who intends to melt it down.

if its 916(22k) and bought from their shop,you won't see that much loss in depreciation value while reselling.

While buying we pay for the design,craftsmanship and the precious and semiprecious stone as making and wastage charges.
    While reselling,you won't get the value for the stone as wastage.:bonk

Before going for resale,stuff yourself with some knowledge.

Searched in Google for details and summing up from few sites.

The price of gold jewelry varies by design, craftsmanship and the alloys used, but as 24k contains more gold than 18k, it is usually more expensive.

The value of 18k gold can be calculated by multiplying its pennyweight by .750, dividing the current spot gold price by the number of pennyweights per ounce, and then multiplying the two values together.

The value of 24k gold is calculated by dividing the current spot gold price by the number of pennyweights per ounce, and then multiplying this value to the pennyweight of the product.

pennyweight--a unit of weight equal to 24 grains or one twentieth(1/20) of an ounce(1.555 grams)

Check this Link(with video)

http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-the-Value-of-Scrap-Gold

24K Gold = (24 parts gold) made of 99.9% - 100%=100% Gold
    In its purest form, gold is too soft to be worn around daily. It is likely to break or bend with everyday usage. This purest form is actually the ‘24K’ or ’24 Karat’ we have always heard about.
    it is most often used for investment purposes. Gold coins and bars are minted in fine gold with purities of 99.9% – 99.99%.

22K Gold = 91.7% Gold=916/91.6% gold and 8.4% metals)
    Here, again 22 parts out of 24 are purely gold and it is mixed with other metals to make it durable and strong enough. The amount of jewelers dealing in 22K gold jewelry is yet lesser as compared to 18K as it is still not a tough alloy.

18K Gold = 75% Gold=750 gold
    (18 parts gold and 4 parts alloy) gold is made of 75% gold and 25% various metal alloys like silver, copper, zinc and nicke.
    18K Gold is comparatively very long-wearing and so it is used on a large scale in jewelry making. The color of 18K gold is more lustrous and bright yellowish as it is closer to purity.
    It is durable , but since it is less resistant than 14k gold, it shows marks after some rough use.:hide:

14K Gold = 58.3% Gold
    One of the most widely used gold in USA. It is certainly more expensive than 12K gold but a lot lesser priced than 18K. It is almost equal in the sheen and pure color as compared to 18K gold and thus it stands as a suitable choice for most of the buyers.
    12K Gold = 50.0% Gold &
    10K Gold = 41.7% Gold

Hope I have given the full details.Be wise to invest,to beautify yourself.:)
    Thanks.

1 person likes this.