1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Jewellery Making - Materials - US & Other Places

Discussion in 'Jewellery Making' started by PriyaDominic, Nov 4, 2008.

1. mitsviki

mitsviki Senior IL'ite

jewelrry making materials US

Could someone provide the list of materials needed and where to buy them in the us.

If this query has been posted sorry please remove it or move it

2. vijikrish

vijikrish Gold IL'ite

3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

HOW TO LEARN doing artificial jewellary

Hi ladies
    Even i m interested in jewellary making. Is it possible to do in US? or the stuffs are available only in India. Pls suggest me the tips and procedures how to learn and do it, esp necklaces and earrings! thanks all

4. ani123

ani123 Senior IL'ite

Re: jewelrry making materials US

Hello Everyone,

How are you? I'm very much intrested in beading stuff.Got some tools and beads from Michaels and working on it.Michales is one amazing store where you get almost everything u want...be for beading or home decor...
    have also bought some home decor stuff and did something(which is not very great though..)
    we have a beads show coming up in Florida very soon.I want to buy some of them and do beading by myself.Last time I sent some bead strings to get it done in India which took forever to get back to me and wear :(

Please let me know and share some pics if anyone has done any jewellery...really wanna try something :mrgreen:

5. ani123

ani123 Senior IL'ite

Re: HOW TO LEARN doing artificial jewellary

Hi Sanravi,

How are you? I had the same question initially (not that 'm pro now :)).I bought a kit in walmart where it gives you beads,material needed and the guide book...kinda beginners kit.That was awesome and I tired doing that first...u can get samekind of kit in more colors,varieties in Michaels too..
    I made some earrings and bracelets..hope this helps.

6. vijikrish

vijikrish Gold IL'ite

re: Jewellery Making - Materials - US & Other Places

Hi Anila,
    Iam from North Florida...I noticed you are also from Florida. Bead show is good source to buy beads, though they are quite bit expensive when compared to India. I just had to trip to India and had good shopping in Oswal (Chennai). You can visit local county libraries for books or magazines about beads & get ideas to make jewellery. You may not be able find about kundan sets, but some designs are good, you can wear for Indian outfit along with western outfit. I never liked Walmart stuff, they kinda give a cheap look and it suits only college going girls, but to learn they are okay.If you have questions, you can PM me...
    Good luck,
    Viji

7. makka

makka New IL'ite

Re: where do u shop for the spacers in US

you can buy from michaels store or from joann use coupons buy spacer of sterling silver they are of good quality I usually buy silver or in gold sterling. you can buy from online store like beadabeada .
    thanks
    Maleka

8. McSurbhi

McSurbhi New IL'ite

re: Jewellery Making - Materials - US & Other Places

Jewelry supplies from the U.S. The best of the best for beginners is to start with Rio Grande. The website is Rio Grande Jewelry Making Supplies

They have everything, including Precious Metal clay. Wax carving to
    make jewelry in any metal.

Any questions, let me know. I do cad designs(3d) in Rhino and carve
    waxes, set gemstones etc.

Surbhi

9. McSurbhi

McSurbhi New IL'ite

The best place to learn artificial jewelry in the U.S is from Riogrande. They have a wonderful catalog. They have classes in everything. From making your own glass beads to wirework to silver
    jewelry, stone setting, wax carving etc. ... You'll get the idea when you order their catalog. Just a warning, if you venture out in the precious Metal clay (you bake real silver in clay form somewhere at the temperature of 900C) you will get hooked. Hope this helps.

Surbhi
    :hiya

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2009
  10. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Ani and Surabi for ur info.