1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Some tips for jewelry makers

Discussion in 'Jewellery Making' started by varmaswathy, Aug 19, 2011.

1. varmaswathy

varmaswathy Gold IL'ite

I am an avid jewelry enthusiast. I had pretty good collection of fancy ornaments and I loved wearing them during my college days. After marriage I stopped wearing those fancy items, but kept them with me always. To kill my free time, I have joined several websites and community forums where I get a chance to show my creativity and enjoy other’s feedbacks. I had attended painting classes, craft shows, but never had tried my skill in creating jewelry. One day, from a popular public forum, I realized that there are a lot of people who make jewelry at home and sell it. It is a great idea for housewives like me to explore the creativity of the art, and I thought that it would be a better source of income. So I decided to research this.

I stumbled upon seeing that there are countless websites and online tutoring classes available for jewelry enthusiasts. It was a new information for me. I went through several articles related to jewelry and accessories. I decided to purchase materials and tools and started making jewelry at home. First, it was only an interesting free time hobby for me, but soon I started selling via online and offline. Within few months, I gained a lot of admiration from others, and many people bought my creations. Yes, if we have enough patience and a strong desire, we can transform our free-time hobbies into a profitable business.

I never joined any jewelry-making classes, but learned many techniques only through online videos and tutorials. Here, I would like to share with you some techniques and ideas of jewelry making. If you have a strong interest to know how to make a beautiful jewelry, you can read this. First of all, I have to tell you some common points which I learnt over the period of time.

A jewelry maker should be very creative. Your creativity and ideas matter a lot. You should have a keen research mentality. A lot of innovations are happening every day in this field. New fashion trends come and go. So you need to keep updating your knowledge about those trends.

Patience is an important thing that helps a beginner to flourish in this field. You need not invest a big amount to start a jewelry business. At first, you may not get good revenue. However, without losing your patience, you should wait for eventual reward.
    Selection of materials is another important factor about which you should pay attention. If you plan to sell your jewelry, please choose good quality materials to create the ornaments. The items should have a perfect finish. Only then the product will attract customers.

As a beginner, you can take advantages of craft shows and exhibitions. Now there are a lot of programs being conducted for womens’ empowerment. Visit the exhibitions and try to keep contact with the event managers. With their help, you can also participate in those shows. Do not focus on profit; make it a venue for getting recognition.
    You should be flexible enough to create items per the customer’s request. A good businessperson should have the capacity to keep a warm relationship with customers. Prove yourself to be perfect first and try to make your creations the most in demand. Then you can expand your creative horizons slowly.

Visit these fantastic websites which are related to jewelry designing. I am sure that these will be really useful for you.

Home Jewelry Business Success Tips
    JewelryLessons.com | Learn how to make your precious jewelry - FREE tutorials, lessons & articles!
    Jewelry Making with Beads, Jewelry Tools, & Wire, using Beads and Jewelry Making Supplies by WigJig

19 people like this.

2. ambikai

ambikai Gold IL'ite

Hi swathy,
    thank you very much for the links you have provided.your tips are really helpful for people like me who really want to turn jewellery making hobby into a business.thanks a lot.

3. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot Aswathy.

I have also got so many links added to my favourites but today after reading your beautiful message for jewellery creators like us......is like a supplement vitamin.........encouraging and inspiring us !!

4. parvathyc09

parvathyc09 Gold IL'ite

Thanks a Lot Aswathy.... your tips are very helpful and i will check all the websites you mentioned..

5. Ooviya

Ooviya Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot... pls share more...

6. lampdeepa

lampdeepa Silver IL'ite

Hi Swathy
    A very encouraging post. I am very much interested in Jewellery Making but I am not sure where do I get the materials in Bangalore. Since you are from Blore, let me know if you conduct some classes...
    Thanks
    Deepa

7. varmaswathy

varmaswathy Gold IL'ite

Thanks lot Sudha. Your sweet words make me happy.

8. varmaswathy

varmaswathy Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear, do check the links and explore more. you will get new ideas surely.

9. varmaswathy

varmaswathy Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot for the response Ooviya.

10. varmaswathy

varmaswathy Gold IL'ite

Dear Deepa,

Happy to hear from you. I stopped taking classes after my delivery. Now I am not taking orders, because, time is a problem for me. Before i used to purchase materials from Avenue road. You can get materials from certain shops in Rajah market, Avenue road.

But, personally, i prefer to purchase from certain online sites like e bay. There you can get variety of materials. You need not purchase them in bulk. They have free shipping options. i used to get the materials within 20 days after purchasing. Suppose if you miss any packets , you can inform the seller for a refund. They will refund the amount. Through e bay, you can get materials from other countries. You need to register first and then search for beads or any materials. You should need a Paypal account for that.

2 people like this.