1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Emotional Intimacy: How do you define it ?

Discussion in 'Intimacy' started by GeethaMR, Jan 18, 2011.

1. GeethaMR

GeethaMR Silver IL'ite

Marriage is said to be the amalgamation of the physical, mental, emotional and the spiritual. Thus with your husband, you share four basic kinds of intimacies: physical, emotional, mental and spiritual.

Physical intimacy is well defined and very well understood.

Mental intimacy is the meeting of two minds, resulting in both the husband and the wife being on the same plane. Without mental intimacy, many decisions suchas schooling, finances, etc would be difficult to take.

Spiritual intimacy is the goal of life in which the couple shares their views of life in the spiritual domain.

Thus remains the final and difficult to arrive at part: Emotional intimacy! How does one define emotional intimacy. Now, we all know that such terms can not be exactly defined.

So, it boils down to one thing: What would be the things you would do or want to do with your spouses to be on the same emotional plane ?

Please reply wholeheartedly, all the members who read this thread:cheers

Cheers! Geetha. :)

(I would put my response after seeing two-three posts.I hope there are at least that many posts :hide: )

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Geetha,may be these are facts of life.
    Emotional intimacy is something which can't always be possible within couples. We should be ready to share everything right from office,school,college talks till personal talks. We shouldn't hide or shouldn't get any feeling of hiding.

3. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

I think it's when we are comfortable to express our pleasure, displeasure, frusturation, anger, tiredness, happiness etc without thinking how he/she will take it or react to it.

4. GeethaMR

GeethaMR Silver IL'ite

Thanks Priya_Mommy for the first f/b. You made good points about sharing everything. But why do you say that it is not always possible?

Is it due to communication problems that is internal problems or external like MIL-SiLs?

I feel sometimes we can have a state of higher EI, sometimes not...

Geetha

5. GeethaMR

GeethaMR Silver IL'ite

BB84, i tend to agree with you when you say that we should be comfortable to discuss all the above. But let me ask you the question Priya_Mommy asked: Is it always possible and if so does the DH always share with you?

Thanks...Geetha

6. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Intimacy = in + to + me + see.

The spouse must be able to see the interior of their partner. They should express or display all emotions going inside them, be it positive or negative.

What happened in the day, which was considered as a happy development.............what happened in the day, which was a nasty one............what is the one deep inside the mind, making the spouse feel scared ..............what is the one deep inside the mind, making them, feel excited.

Sharing every emotion, to the utmost possible extent, is emotional intimacy.

7. SuccessMinded

SuccessMinded Gold IL'ite

Emotional intimacy is where you can share freely any emotions - upset or happy with your spouse. You should not have the fear of being judged. You should not have the fear of what will he/she think or what if he tells so and so? Then you are not best friends

8. blackbeauty84

blackbeauty84 IL Hall of Fame

The answer to both the questions are negative. Neither was i comfortable and my Husband never shares with me.

9. GeethaMR

GeethaMR Silver IL'ite

Well written IG, so are you and your wife able to share the same...
    Geetha

10. GeethaMR

GeethaMR Silver IL'ite

Well written SM. But we sometimes do think what the spouse will think if we did this or we did that, no?

Geetha