1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

DD had first fall and i feeling guilty/bad :(

Discussion in 'Infants' started by jhalli27, Jun 19, 2010.

1. jhalli27

jhalli27 Bronze IL'ite

hi,

o, so DD had her first fall today and its killing me within :(.

DD is started her 8 month. after giving her a evening bath, i turned to take her towel. and within seconds, she turned and i saw her falling. i caught her. i dint notice what hit her where, as i was concerned about her not hitting the ground. but still something somewhere must have hit her and she wailed on top of her voice for 5 mins :(. i was **** scared and dint say anything to anyone as my in-lwas are super sensitive and hyper. dh is no less and would have skinned me alive. sinc ei was alone, i told them she hit her leg on the bathroom tiles.
    she became quiet and slept for almost 2 hrs, had her milk and now seems normal and as usual. but still im feeling guilty and bad.. bad thoughts entering my head if the fall affects her??

she fell face down and i am 90 % sure only her hands/legs must have got the bang.. but still not confident. is there something i should look out for? any danger coz of her falling??

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

jhalli,
    Dont worry. Infants do fall down on their own sometimes when they started walking. Now, nothing your mistake. You know my mom used to tell me - God will hold them when they are falling down.
    So your DD too, god might have saved. Just believe in it. Calm down and be alert whenever you are taking care of your DD when she is not sleeping. Dont be guilt, be normal and control your emotion.

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

jhalli, my DD started falling since her 6th month, I remember post 6 months she fell 3ce very badly from the bed....along with the pillows surrounding her. once she fell she didnt move her hand or let us touch it for good 30 mins, and it scared the hell out of me, when we rushed to the hospital, only to see that on the way she suddenly started playing in the vehicle.and we came back home without meeting the doc,with a very normal baby.after this episode we got our mattress on the floor and no bed at all!
    now at 8.5 months she crawls at super speed,and i cant even keep pace with her. she falls 2-3 times a day sometimes more, just that she is just way TOO ACTIVE. aarrgghh!
    DH and me decided we wont react,coz that made her cry even more, so we just in a normal tone talk to her oh no Z fell down! come z we go out,mama tmkes u see birdy, something chitchat u know! she starts smiling and giggling in a minute.
    now she is cruising and falling even more, what to do, maybe falling and getting hurt is a part of their growing up and learning new things.
    we just make sure the living room is less cluttered, and no sharp objects around at her height. etc etc.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  4. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I agree with Poonam..Don't make a big fuss when LO falls...But in this case just observe her for the next few days..If she is acting weirdly or acts as if in pain, then definitely take her to the doctor...Even otherwise if you feel you should get her checked then definitely take her to the doc and put your mind at ease..

Don't blame yourself for this fall...We cannot be with LO's all the while..So when they fall then only they learn how to get up and move on...So don't worry and take it easy...

5. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

I can understand how you feel. you know something, the first fall for my DD was when she was 9 days old. I was so sleep deprieved initially.. And I need to have her all the time in my lap to make her sleep.. I used to sit in the bed, laptop infront of me and feed her.. but one day I was so tired and was dreading if i will sleep as such in the sitting position and fall over her. so, i went to the hall where my mom and sis were sleeping.. sat on the sofa and was feeding her.. this was at 2.30 night.. suddenly, i realised i have slept for a while and when i woke up and saw my lap, there is no baby there.. it was dark, and when i looked down, she was on the ground, making mild sound.. you can imagine the feeling i would have had at that time.she was crying so softly and stopped it immediately after me taking her in my arms... but i cried cried and cried and i should say a mini heart attack came to me in fear.. but she was fine..

so, what i am trying to say is, dont worry and dont take the blame on yourself...ur LO should be fine..

Vidyaa

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

don't be hard on yourself dear mom. even if she gets hurt we can get her treated:)

when my boy was 1 yr old - i had been to my parents place for the 1st birthday functions. my son was sitting on my lap drinking from the bottle. i was seated on a chair. he suddenly jumped off my lap. his bottle fell down and his chin hit on the bottle and he got a deep cut. by bottle i mean normal feeding bottle in plastic. can you imagine? my mom was sitting next to me. we both kind of knew he was falling but it all happened in a fraction of a second. he got 3 stitches. the doc did a neat job and now at 5 we can barely see the scar.

same with my DD. she rolled off the bed when she was about 6 months old. she has been late with milestones and she wasn't even crawling that well. i had put her on bed to vaccum. i was in the same room. no idea how and when she rolled off the bed. most times they cry out of fear of falling. if there are any sharp, hard objects in the vicinity of the fall you must be concerned. look out for symptoms like vomitting, fever, non-stop crying.. otherwise they're just fine.

moral of the story - they can fall even when they're in your lap:(

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  7. jhalli27

jhalli27 Bronze IL'ite

thanks for all the reassurance. feel much better now :).

actually what scared me was - she feel from a height of amost 2 feet from bathroom basin area. and though i tried catching her mid air, she did land on the ground - but wil a mild thud. and then there was he comode/pot very close....

i am not worried about her getting hurt. its just the fear. coz i heard cases where children become abnormal/brain is affected when they fall. anyways, she is fine now... touchwood!

thanks to all once again... where would i be if not for indus ladies ;)??

8. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Jhalli dear,
    Dont worry! She would be fine!