1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stitching cloth diapers

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Vishalini3, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Mommies, Inspired by our sewing guru(!) Lynette and offcourse Ramya, who posted pics of CDs, stitched by them, am starting this thread. Mommies who want to know/share info on the fabric/measurement, sewing tips, pics, etc, join in here.
    I have 1% knowledge on stitching CDs, after reading Lyn's posts. Remind me often ladies, before I loose this drive :))

First things first:
    Sewing machine: Lyn suggested a machine with a automatic interlock mechanism (dont ask me whats this, am yet to google :D). Any more recommendations? I am gonna invest in a sewing machine seriously! (Do I sound that I have made all decisions and running already to buy one? Remind me often again!).
    Lets see who makes the first CDs, offcourse Lynette, you are not in the race :)))))) yayyyyyyyyyyy start!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    RUTVARAM likes this.

2. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Pon, do let me know if you find a serger (interlock) model with the regular machine... I am not aware they are available bundled.

4. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

SINGER® SEWING CO. | Products
    Tikka, am new to all this jargons (interlock, sergers, et all), but am seeing sergers in the singer site. Is that what you are talking about?

5. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

I thought sergers were different from the regular machines. Let me know if u find more info.
    My mom has an Usha regular machine and for the time being I am planning to use that.

Pon - I stiched some fitteds from a website. The fit was pretty good, but since it had many layers, it takes long to dry. Hence now I am planning to sew CD and soakers separately.

6. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hey Pon,

I learnt stitching from last October 2009 onwards. Earlier I was a thumb in stitching so don't worry too much. I still attend Embroidery classes on Saturday. Its never too late for anything. I know you sew well :biglaugh

I have a Singer Fashion Maker. I cannot find the model which I have in the link sent by you:bonk. Interlocking comes in the arrangement. Mine is dark green in colour. Let me see if I can send the pic. You will have a demo and five maintenance visits so you will become an expert. It costs around 5 grands. My mother enchanged her old machine and got this. Now I got it home :)

7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Pon, that is an american site... you will not find half the products you find there in India. I use a regular Usha, like Ramya said... We had a regular Merritt before my parents got the singer fashion maker - either because we use it only for basic stitching or because we dont know how quite to use it, we found the electric machine a total waste of money.
    Interlock is the stitching you will see in the edge of two layers of clothing that has been stitched, on the inside to keep it from unfurling. You will find that in most readymades... The machine that does it is called serger - I think... I always thought they were available separately, but it's very useful in making diapers, you can just serge the edges quickly without having to stitch first and then turn. Also very useful in doing patch work stuff.

8. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

I agree with tikka. Unless you are an avid stitcher the automatic is no good. I find it really handy because even if the readymade clothes tear open after constant use, the seal stitch or interlocking stitch is really useful and much stronger.

Tikka same pinch we had a regular box type Meritt too earlier I was cribbing why did my mother give it off, but now seeing the features in this machine I am happy plus its damn fast. We did use it as a table, I still have my memories afresh on it.

Pon if you are looking for designing more dresses and stuffs like that, then automatic is good else manual with motor is the best option.

The attachment gives an idea about the lock stitch which I was talking about.

http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_c/C-218.pdf

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  9. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

So which one do you all recommend? Singer fashion maker or Usha? I am not gonna become a fashion designer, making all those fundu statements. I am just going to meet the sewing needs of my family, stitch CDs, baby cloths, may be a salwar/blouse/curtains later. What would you all suggest? I dont want a complex model, i am looking out for a simple one, which I can start using right away!

Lyn, Started on OCt 2009 ??? Wowwiiieeee, thats soooooooooo great, I too can stitch CDs in 2-3months, once I get the machine isnt it??? Super nice :)

Tikka, Yeah, i got what interlocking means, saw some pics too in the web, to understand. Singer fashion maker has this facility?

Ramya, I too am thinking, to stitch the outer cover and inner flannel/fleece together, and the prefolds or sockers separately. I have started segregating cloths at home, which I can use for CDs :))

Girls, I wanna get a machine soon, fast fast, get me the names, am counting on you girls, before shelling out money!

10. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Pon,

This is a nice initiative...super...I dont have a sewing machine but i love to stitch...I have couple of people here to help me on that...so how about the materials...
    We basically need 3 types
    1. Inner layer -To wick the moisture ---Fleece/Stay dry liners
    2. An insert - This can be any cotton we use
    3. Outer layer - to prevent leaks - PUL sheets...

Any idea where we will get this in chennai? or do u have any other alternative for this?