1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

J&J Baby Products and Skin Tone

Discussion in 'Infants' started by jojupi01, Jan 29, 2010.

1. jojupi01

jojupi01 New IL'ite

Hello my baby girl just completed 3 months. She has a good complexion when she was born and for quite a while then her skin tone started becoming darker.I have been massaging her with J&J baby oil from her fifth week. Then i use J&J head to toe body wash, J&J body lotion and J&J powder. I am worried is one of this product changing her skin tone. I just want to know which is the best oil to use and from which month. Any advice appreciated. Thanks Jupi

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

jojupi i am not sure if any of the J n J products are not suiting her... but i guess babies when born are quite fair, and may tend to get darker later, thats just her skin melanin ....

however i refrain from using too many products on my baby, for massage i mix almond and olive oil in equal proportion....no soap on her face whatsoever. and mothercare natural softie bodywash just a couple of drops for the entire body.

also i do not use any talc

1 person likes this.
  3. preeths13

preeths13 New IL'ite

My son developed light ezema so my doctor asked us to stop using J&J products as the nice smell you get from J&J - it is allergic to most babies (Bummer). So my husband started using the left over J&J lotion and noticed that he is getting dark. Then some one told him that the J&J lotions makes skin darker- I didn't believe him but could be right from your story.

4. jhalli27

jhalli27 Bronze IL'ite

hey jupi.. will tell you my experience.

we too started massaging my DD with J&J baby oil. though her color did not change, we did notice that she started getting a LOT of prickly heat kind of boils. especially on her face :(. so we stopped that.

now we massage her with normal parachute coconut oil. there are no boils anymore :). but i did notice that her face skin tends to get ruff randomly. using emoderm cream prescribed by her doc and they seem to disappear.

i have a doubt about using olive oil... does baby turn darker with that? my mil says that. it seems her son/my BIL was born real fair. she massaged him with olive oil and now he is like a coal :(. since she had first hand experience, I am scared to experiment

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2012
  5. anu prem

anu prem Gold IL'ite

Hi,

i also have that experience...yes my kid 4 months old he had allergic with j&j products so my ped told to stop that...now he is ok..

6. jojupi01

jojupi01 New IL'ite

Thank you all for your feedbacks. I really appreciate it. I stopped using J&J products and started using parachute coconut oil. I tired to buy almond oil but i could not find it at our local walmart store. I also tried to buy extra virgin coconut oil but i could not find that too. Can someone please tell me where to find them. Thanx Jupi.

7. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Jojupi,
    Even i noticed the skin darkening in my son after using J&J lotion. until he was 3 yrs i used only coconut oil , moong dhal powder for bathing him. now recently i started using the J&J lotion and see quite a difference. now i stopped it.
    if you want to try someting better to use aveeno products they are better.

Baby oil is nothing but mineral oil, instead of that it is better to use coconut oil or any other natural oils. you can get coconut oil/almond oil etc in wholefoods store or even in indian stores, or anyother supermarkets here.
    for my little one she got prickly heat kind of bumps all over her body and doc suggested to use aveeno moisturizing lotion and it got cleared within a week. for cradle cap i just used coconut oil and not that also has gone.

8. jojupi01

jojupi01 New IL'ite

I just got extra virgin coconut oil from sprouts. They did not have almond oil. i will look for it in someother whole food store. Will keep you posted.

9. hs2009

hs2009 Silver IL'ite

Olive Oil is known to darken the skin tone. Why not try almond or coconut oil.

10. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

MY DS developed mild rashes, so my pead asked me to refrain from the usage of J&J products..
    Also oilve oil darkens skin complexion...