1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Help! My 1 Yr Old Son Has Asthma

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sumyramasamy, Dec 28, 2009.

1. sumyramasamy

sumyramasamy New IL'ite

Hi,
    My son is 1 year & 3 months old, had his asthma attack the second time around. Had difficulty breathing & sleeping at nite due to the cold weather. I'm so scared whenever it rains & I hear him sneeze. Would like to know if anyone of you have tried any homemade remedies for curing it & did it suceed? I just can't stand to see him suffer & it breaks my heart everytime he goes thru a flu/cough episode. What are the rules & regulations that I should follow to keep another attack at bay for my child? What should his feeding habits be? I've read in the internet that athma sufferers have to follow healthy lifestyle habits to keep the attack in control. Pls share your humble thots with me. Thanks a lot. :bowdown

2. lublubna

lublubna New IL'ite

Hello Sumy,

i can understand your worries. i was an asthma patient when i was a child- but now the attack rarely comes- especially when exposed to too much AC.
    My son ( now 5years) has also got wheezing- though it is under control. some of the things that i take care are:

During winter season, i always make him wear a mufler when he goes outside- the one that covers his ears. even if he is going outside only for a minute. Cover him with extra layers.
    Give tulsi water to drink- just boil a few leaves of Tulsi and give this instead of normal water. ( i have not given this regulary, but i do give this ocassionly)
    lately i have started giving him multivitamin-iron syrup. i have started noticing changes in him. Earlier he used to have colds almost all the time. now it has reduced a LOT.

Just my two cents!!
    Lubna

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  3. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

I can understand your worries.My DD got this when she was 4 months old and still having it.I was very much worried when she got that first one,now i am used to it.Don't worry as they get bigger it cures on it own.I myself had wheezing till 8 or 9 years old.

Do you have that mask with you ?No home remedies works for me.I have that albuterol to insert in the mask ,i use it whenever she has severe wheezing otherwise I run a humidfier,take her to bathroom with hot shower running.This helps her a lot.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  4. Dilchahtahai

Dilchahtahai Senior IL'ite

I agree with PP. My DS is 2 years old. His first attack was around 11 months. Poor guy ..we kept doing home remedies but it did not work. Now I have both Albeutrol and Flovent in house. I give him 2 puffs of flovent every day. That seems to be helping, though there are times when his breathing is labored and nose is runny. But not an attack..I give him albeutrol everytime I see him coughing too much or sounding hoarse or funny. Our doctor said to use albeutrol liberally if we dont want to give him oral steroids. I would rather give him albeutrol than oral steroids.
    Mostly allergies and asthama are related. DS is allergic to egg and dairy. Maybe ur DD is too. U may want to get her tested.
    Keep them bundled up at the same time, they do need some fresh air every day so taker them out for 5 min even if it is very cold..
    I have noticed everytime DS is exposed ( meaning not bundled up enough), his wheezing comes back..
    So careful about that..
    They say it goes away as they grow up. I just hope it happens for my DS and other little kids. It is too bad to see them suffering especially since both me and DH had a very healthy childhood.

5. AnithaSrinivas

AnithaSrinivas New IL'ite

I do understand ur worries/feelings.
    My DD is 4yrs and she has had her wheezing from her 10th month. Its atleast 2 ER visits for her wheezing attacks every yr, when it becomes worse and her normal medication dont work..
    She is on Albuterol and Pulmicort.
    From this summer, we had started with her homeopathy treatment and she did well the summer( 1 attack every 4 weeks) the frequency reduced, and we have to see how she is going to respond this winter.
    Her regular paediatrician told tht my DD may overcome her wheezing by time she turns 8yrs..
    And also DD is allergic to Nuts. Earlier she was allergic to Diary and nuts, but with homeopathy treatment we had overcome her dairy allergy. Once the wheezing is brought under control, we will be starting treatment for her nuts allergy.
    Also planning to put her in a Yoga class for the breathing techniques.
    Couple of things I follow..
    1. Add ginger paste to all her food, as a preventative medicine for not falling sick with cold and flu.
    2. All drinks, water, milk warmed up..no cold food or drinks.
    3. Humidifier is on through the day and night.
    4. Have started adding little cinnamon powder, a dash of it to her milk.
    5. And strictly no junk, only fruits for snacks.. Berries, oranges to boost her immunity. and even we make sure as parents we follow the same..
    6. boiled egg one a day daily.

simple things to keep her healthy so she can build the immunity and outgrow her present conditions..

Anitha

6. Dilchahtahai

Hi Anitha,
    If you don't mind, can you tell me what homeopathic medicine you used for your DD's food allergies? My DS is 2 Year old and allergic. I am thinking of giving homeopathic treatment to him.. It would help if I know that there is something already tried and tested. I would confirm it with a homepath but if you could give me the name, I would really apperciate it..
    Thanks,
    Delmommy

7. AnithaSrinivas

AnithaSrinivas New IL'ite

Delmommy,

We are currently seeing a US based homeopath. and she is good..
    The initial consultation was for 2 hrs. She analysed my DD (asked questions abt food, sleep, behavior, habits and abt how she was all the 4yrs) Based on all these, she was given Arsenic Album. SHe started with 30c potency and now its been increased to 1M..But this happened gradually..And the way the medicine has to be taken is also different from stage to stage based on the way my DD responds.

Homeopathy medicine is not like a prescription medicine, there are couple of medicines in homeopathy that can be used for treating wheezing.
    It totally depends on the homeopaths diagnosis.

my suggestion will be you consult a homeopath and start the treatment according to them. you cant expect results overnight, but u can be sure
    ur son will over come all this over a period of time..

8. Dilchahtahai

Thanks Anitha,
    I am trying to find a homeopath in our area. Would consult one before starting DS on medication. He already is taking some homeopathic medicine and is feeling better.. So I hope it works.

9. priyasuresh11

priyasuresh11 Senior IL'ite

Hi Sumi,

I heard a remedy from one of the Siddha doctor.

She asked to heat a tbsp of coconut oil..Then remove from heat.Then add 2/3 camphors(Sudan in Tamil) in that oil.It will dissolve in that hot oil.Let it to become warm as you can touch.Then rub in front and back of this chest,throat area.

Believe me even if any phlegm is inside the chest it will make him to spit out.Then he will get relief.

Another thing I'm telling by my experience.Don't use heater in the bedroom.You can put clothes to keep the baby warm.If we use the heater it is making the air dry.So when we inhale that it is drying the mucus as well and leads to chest congestion,cough and wheezing.I suffered a lot when I came to Australia.Now I stopped using heater I'm feeling more better.Not much wheezing and on.

Take care.

10. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Priya, in the place of not using a heater - which may not be a solution for those living in very cold areas - pushing fluids can really well also helps. I dont tolerate dry air well myself and would rather not sleep in an air-conditioned room during summers, it really helps me when I drink a lot of water in the night.