1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal gap betweeen feeds and Sleep duration

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sumanr, Dec 21, 2009.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Ladies,
    Need Help.

Since yesterday DD has been crying. It all started off y'day evening. She cried and I thought it was colic; the medicine didn't help; and it went on for over 3 hours. She then fed unwillingly and I put her to sleep at around 11 pm. She has not woken up since then. she did not feed the entire night (she doesn't sleep at nights usually) ... when I checked on her during the nights, she was sucking her thumb vigorously and going back to sleep. I forcible feb her this morning at 6:30 and she is asleep again. She suddenly wails (mostly when she wets) and when I pick her up, she falls alseep.

1. Is it ok if a 2.5 month old kid does not feed for over 8-9 hours?

2. Even when she was a new born, she never used to sleep this long. She has been sleeping for 10 hours at a stretch and she is very tired. Even when she opens her eyes she does not seem to look around.

While I can think of reasons for crying (I have exhausted the list now), I cannot think of why she doesn't feed or wake up for over 10 hours.

2. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Ramya Hugs.. I hear you... to me it looks ok until she has her feed in between... however, I am not very sure of 8-9 hours gap.. DD had taken upto 6 hours...

let us wait until other moms pour in their thoughts..

Vidyaa

3. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ramya, from your post, I feel LO must have gone too tired yesterday. Thats why she slept too long. And her night sleep routines and sleep maturity is happening, i feel. Watch for another day and another night. If she is awake for more than 2.5hrs in the day, esp in the evenings, try to put her to sleep. Dont let her get too tired. I have experienced the same with my LO often and i have concluded it as tiredness. He has gone max 8hrs without feeds. I pump once, after 5hrs, if he doesnt get up. This is just to maintain the supply :), otherwise i wud experience an undersupply that day, since the demand had been less. What if you co-sleep and try to feed her inbetween, without waking/picking her up? Nowadays, if I put him to sleep by 2.5-3hrs of awake time, I see that this doesnt happen :):thumbsup

4. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

THanks Vidya and Pon.
    I will monitor it for one/two more days. But the issue is that she is too tired to feed. She doesn't feed or wake up. I hope she wakes up by this afternoon.
    How I wish she is active and playing (though I used to wish that she falls asleep then :(()

5. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

Ramya
    My baby used to sleep for around few hours without crying for feed, and that was when he was around 1-2 months. but i kept feeding him every now and then. it isn't abnormal. i used feel my DS would be sleeping through the night if i let him do so. you should wait and watch like others say since you have mentioned that she is looking tired.

but does she cry when wetting? is it after wetting or just before peeing she cries? is she running temperature? i hope not coz you would have mentioned it then.

6. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Ramya, I have not experienced this so far. Maximum she has gone without feed is 3.5 hrs. But yes, when she is really tired she refuses the feed, cries and goes to sleep. But then because she is hungry she wakes up after 10 mins and will have her feed.

When my DD sleeps unusual hours (esp during daytime) my mom used to say she is catching up some lost sleep ;-)

7. krozwindz

krozwindz Silver IL'ite

Hi Ramya

My DD is 2 months and 6 days old. And she has been sleeping through the night since the past week or so. She feeds at 10 pm and then sleeps till 5 am, when she takes her next feed. One day she even slept 9 hours without feeding. I dont know if i am doing the right thing by not feeding her forcefully in between, buti though i was supposed to follow demand feed so i let it be. I did not notice any tiredness and infact she is palyful the whole morning and evening( She sleeps 4 hours in the afternoon).
    Aditi

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I am going to agree with Aditi, it does sound like your child is also learning to settle in for long night sleep - the evening crying - could it be an inability to wind herself down to sleep? Overtired? If she is hungry, she will latch on and root at this stage. Feed her on demand and get some rest yourself... the distractible stage will start soon and all your well-earned rest will disappear. :)

9. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

oh tikka! that is great! How long do they feed, ramya and aditi? My daugther during the day feeds for 10-20 mins max. During the night it is slightly longer, but she has so far not gone beyond 3 hrs at a stretch.

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

looks like she was overtired...
    but 8-9 hours does sound like a long gap to me, never happened with zoey.. although i wish it did once in a while lol... BAD MOMMIE:p

jokes apart, zoey now goes 10-15 mins max for every feed, gap pf 1.5-2 hrs during the day and 2.5 - 4 hours during night...
    before sleeping she cluster feeds atleast 3 times in 2 hours... tanking up for night

and usually sleeps 10-12 hours at night with 4 feeds total.... so yes daytime its more often tha night...

on an average she takes around 9-10 feeds a day.... her daytime sleep is negligible though :)

does ur baby sleep at nights now ramya?