1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Air travel with 2 or 3 months old baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by MrsPriyaG, Oct 27, 2009.

1. MrsPriyaG

MrsPriyaG New IL'ite

Dear all,

I am expecting my baby in the first week of March 2010. We live in Germany.

I would need to travel to India from Germany (around 10 hours flight journey) in May 2010 for attending my brother-in-law's wedding.

I would like to know is it safe and comfortable to take small baby for air travel?
    Please give me your advise and tips. Did anyone traveled by flight with such a small baby?

Thanks and looking for your advise.

Cheers,
    Priya

2. sulaksuresh

sulaksuresh New IL'ite

Hi Priya

I travelled from USA to India when my twins were just two and half months old. They slept most of the time during the journey as they were very small . Make sure to give the baby milk frm bottle or breast feed him/her when the flight is taking off/landing. Also cover his/her ears with nice cap. They should not get ear pain when the flight is taking off/landing. Some sucking action from mouth will prevent them from getting ear pain. I am sure small babies are good travellers than toddlers.

All the best for your delivery.Take care.

Sulakshana

deeps0512 likes this.
  3. Sharmi112

Sharmi112 New IL'ite

I am in a similar situation. i will be travelling with my baby in Jan who will be around 6 months. I would like to hear from other moms about their experiences travelling with an infant and any suggestions, precautions etc. I would also like to know how easy it was to nurse the infant. Travelling from Chicago to chennai would take approximately 20 hrs.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  4. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

Well, it is definitely easier traveling with an infant than with a toddler. Flights allow small babies just a few weeks old. So 2 months should be no problem. As already pointed out, you must feed baby during take-off and landing to keep his/her jaws in motion. Also feed more frequently as they are depleted of fluids quickly. You must also make sure of your comfort. Barely 2 months after delivery... so make sure you ask for a comfortable seat - middle, first row. Book the bassinet for the baby and also inform them of special infant food, if you want. They will allow you to take baby food and water for baby, but make sure you have them in a separate baby bag. Otherwise they might ask you to get rid of the water bottles. Also, have a lot of diapers, tissues, infant milk (if you use it), in your hand baggage. Some flights offer their own feeding bottle if you want. But it is always good to use your own. And of course you must have several dresses, bibs, medicines for baby, blankets, etc. in hand baggage. If you do breastfeed your child, it is good to have the India trip during that time, as baby depends less on water and other food and has less chance of getting an infection.

Make sure you get baby´s passport early enough!

Have a nice pregnancy and later a safe journey!

Sharmi, I found nursing to be a bit difficult in the plane. In the airports, no problem. In the plane, I sat on the floor and fed her. It was difficult although it was the front row which has more space than other rows. I had problems due to her jet lag and travelling across the globe. So, she kept cryin in the second flight and this disturbed other people´s sleep. Air hostess asked us to take her away and swing her or do something to keep her quiet. Bah! We had a tough time and my back became sore!

That is why it is important you are fit for the journey. I hope you folks travel with someone else. Do not travel alone with such a small baby.
    Sandhya

5. ashapradeep

ashapradeep Bronze IL'ite

I travelled with DD when she was 8 months old and was sick with a nasty cold. I was afraid she might be cranky through the journey (9 hrs +4hrs transit). Fortunately, we had no issues at all. She slept through both the flights. I dint have any difficulty BFing her also. U can get a hooder cover or just a big towel to wrap around u and the baby will do. I of course, fed her during take offs and landings and most of the time, as she dint take anything else. Though we had a bassinet booked, it dint help much coz she wanted me to hold her all the time:drowning. So, expect for the arm ache, we were perfectly fine. But of course, each baby reacts differently to situations and one can never predict how its gonna be. Hope u have a safe trip!!!

Asha
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Priya,

I travelled back to Germany from india (with a 3 day stop-over in singapore as well) when my son was 3 months old. i'll warn you that we'll be a bit tensed but the babies do sleep when well fed. as you know inside the plane will be a bit dry so make sure he/she drinks enough milk.

other pointers:

carry 2 or 3 spare clothes for the baby and one for yourself.
    diapers, moisturising cream, wipes, a nice blanket (the airline gives but sometimes it's not smooth quality)
    you'll need socks for the baby as well as sometimes it gets a bit chilly.

apart from the essentials don't forget to check about vaccines with the paed. mine advised me not to travel (to developing countries in particular)before few vaccines were completed for the baby (and that was almost close to a year!) but each paed is different so i don't want to disappoint you:(

Latha

7. nehajagadeesh

nehajagadeesh Senior IL'ite

Oh that was a well good information , just right time i clicked this thread. Thankyou all so much for such information , coz i'm travelling to Bangalore form Bahrain with my LO on dec . by the time he'll be 5mths old. its hardly 5hrs journey +2hrs transit

I'll take all the pre-cautions as said and consult my pead. too.

:cheers

8. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

I travelled with my DD when she was 3 months old and came back when she was 9 months.I think it is easier to travel with an infant.Most of the time they will be sleeping .Just make sure she is BF when take off and landing.HAve fluids with you and some warm blankets to cover up.Other than that once the baby has the first immunisation you are all set to travel.