1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby breathing heavily after feed

Discussion in 'Infants' started by RekhaViju, Oct 24, 2009.

1. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

My Little girl is only 11 days old. Since yesterday I noticed that she is breathing heavily after her feeding (breast feeding). It looks like she is not breathing enough while the feed and takes a lot of energy. She is also taking a break after 6-7 mins, breathe and then again continue feeding.

The heavy breathing continued tonight for about 10 mins and that is why I am here at 3:18 AM. She is now peacefully sleeping and I am checking on her every time.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I take her to doctor to get her examined?

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Rekha, how is she positioned on your breast. Just wondering if she is feeling smooshed up against your breast. Look up this link. It has some interesting pictures. Is her body completely turned towards you when she is feeding. [​IMG]
    Stating the obvious, this is the correct latching position. If you notice, the baby has taken more of the underside of the areola and the nose is free of the breast. My guess is the baby is getting smooshed. If you can have a lactational consultant evaluate it may be better than going to a doctor.
    Also, try the football hold in the initial days till the child masters latching on. It helps the child's nose stay free of the breasts.
    Hope this helps.

3. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Thanks tikka. I had midwives visiting me on alternate days until yesterday ad they always told me I am doing good with positioning. But perhaps you are right, I was very sleepy yesterday night and perhaps might have messed up the positioning. Today I had been extra careful and she didnt have any problem so far.

I have also noticed that she latches perfect and sucks more on my left breast than my right. I am not sure what she is doing with my right breast. She is quite fussy at the start, so all this theory of breast feeding is not working :)

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

It is not uncommon for the breasts to be lopsided producers. And apparently size does not matter. I had an overactive letdown with my right breast, which also produced more. I would notice that DS would come off the right breast fully satiated. But if he is on the left one, he will burp and then latch on again on the other side. It sounds like you make more on right side or have a faster letdown that is perhaps frustrating her.
    It is excellent you have the support system there. I am all ears about what your m/w say.
    You are absolutely right in saying a lot if it is theory till you practice it with your LO. That's mom and babies are called nursing Dyads. They form a team that works intuitively. Often, there is not enough information made available to the mom and it theory stays theory. That's my theory at least. ;-)

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

p.s. your avtaar is for keeps. There is something awww-inducing about newborns bonding with their fathers.

6. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

You are right tikka. I was trying to put into practice the theory part. The think is she just is very eager for the feed that she starts sucking her fingers as I try to put her onto my breast.

She was 3Kg when born, 2.74 on her 3rd day, 2.76 on 5th day, 2.74 on the 7th day, 2.86 on the 8th day and 2.92 on the 10th day. The midwife says there is no concern until now. She has been pooing and weeing alright. Just today she didnt sleep the whole day, at 3pm she had a short nap for 1 hr and at 6:45pm another one which is continuing until now 9:20 pm. I have to wake her up now.

How to wake up a baby who is sound asleep?

Regarding my avtaar, yes! it is for keeps, that is the 5th day. I think being wiht me throughout the labour gave an entirely new dimension to our relationship of about 13 years (3 years after marriage). He absolutely wants to be with her all the time, ready to be awake at any hour of day or night, wants ot massage her, change her nappy, take her out etc etc.

thanks for your reply, its been really kind of you.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

the same with me rekha... my right breast has very forceful letdown though... n so i always hv to express afew seconds before putting her or else she coughs...n i really have to keep her fingers away, she desperately starts to suck on them even if theres a milisecond delay in latching her... not exaggerating!

and rekha, isnt it wonderful to see dads take charge of LO's?
    cleaning her poop, diapering her...launder her clothes and loves to launder her cloth dipes...massage her... your avatar indeed is priceless!

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite