1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

LO not sleeping... :(

Discussion in 'Infants' started by VidyaaJ, Oct 13, 2009.

1. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Our LO is not sleeping more than 10 mins from this morning. in the mornings she had very short naps for 10-20 mins thrice.In total 16 hours she might have slept for 1-1.5 hours... and apart from that she was completely awake... and still in the night she hasnt slept..we are trying everything.. rocking her, singing walking, feeding..etc., however she didnt cry or show any discomfort as well in the morning..but now she is not comfortable... She stretches her body when fed and pulls off often and awake...

Please advice what is wrong...

Vidyaa

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

How is she today, wondering if she was over stimulated and therefore unable to sleep... if DS gets too tired and has been poorly sleeping, he just wont sleep. Newborn days are tough, hang in there. How are you feeling... I hope you have seen the last of the mastitis. Hugs

3. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

i hear you vidyaa!!!! i am there too... but here she has been wanting to be nursed every 1 hour, followed by piss and then an hour of sleep at the max... cycle goes on!!!!
    wondering if nursing for more than 12 times a day is even normal...! i dont even know the last time i took a nap for longer than an hour.. dont think i did :(
    milk has come in well and she wets more than 10 dipes a day ....
    hopefully she settles down in a few days/months?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  4. banuabida

banuabida Bronze IL'ite

Vidhyaa,

I could not help you in this, so I waited for some response. Today, I am here to enquire about your LO sleeping troubles.

Hope you both are doing better!

D.

5. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Thank god... she slept for few hours today. It was horrible yesterday and I was totally exhausted and had no choice other than IL...

Krithika,yes may be.. willl just 2-3 cups of coffee will stimulate her? Wondering about all the reasons.. She doesnt seemed to tired as well.. and I was really confused..
    past two weeks free from mastitis... :) and somehow getting settled with BFing..

Poonam, I had the same experience from her birth..she didnt sleep in the nights right from her day one and yesterday was completely different.. she didnt sleep for a whole day...

Hope you are recovering... Do post the snaps of the LO and dont strain yourself too much..
    Love,
    Vidyaa

6. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

hi dear,

Thank you... Yes today it is much better.... Everyday is a new learning for me... :)

Vidyaa

7. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Vidya,

Me too couldn't be of any help so refrained from typing a reply. good to note things have progressed. good luck:)

Pooh,

Would you like to try feeding her a bit longer? It worked for my 2nd one. After she finished one side, i burped, let her alone or massaged her for say 5 minutes and encouraged her to feed from the other breast too. This was taught by my mid-wife who was also my LC:) Then she slept at a stretch for upto 5 hours. i suffered so much for my boy this was such a blessing...

Latha

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

hey, the same question as Latha, how long does she nurse, how often, both saides? do you feel your breasts emptying after her feed... If she seems gassy, do burp her even if she is on only her first breast and relatch her... How is the latch going... Hope you are having an easy time fixing it.
    BTW, it is very normal for children to feed more often than 12 times a day. Feed her on demand now and once your supply increases, she will be pacing herself out for longer. Hang in there.
    @Vidyaa, 6 weeks right? Another growth spurt may be...
    A
    Sleep and newborns
    Growth spurts.
    So, ladies, I think both of you are having the same issue. Both of you are breastfeeding, you will be aware that breastmilk digests very quickly often between 1.5 to 2 hours. So your child may be especially hungry during growthspurt times when their stomach capacities are increasing. That's why they nurse frequently to get to increase your supply to meet their needs. Ain't that beautiful, how children self-regulate.
    Even if it is a rough on you, you guys are doing the best you can for your kids. Hang in there. Hugs.

9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

tikka and latha.... i feel like a milching cow really.... my tshirt goes usually soaked if i dont nurse her for more than 1 hour. and latching has become perfect now...sometimes i give her both sides sometimes only one. and she nurses for around 20-30 mins... sleeps for an hour sometimes 1.5 hours and then is up for another feed... hence i feel like i m feeding her round the clock..
    i dont really mind this, but during nights its horrible. she needs to be on my breast just about all the time... and there is a pattern, from 2 am to 6 in the morn... after which i can put her back in her crib.
    these 4 hours she needs to be against my skin and nibble , i think she tries to use my nipple as a pacifier.. lol
    i tried rocking her to sleep , singing... it works for till i am, but the moment i put her down theres a fuss....
    also i realised that if i am strolling with her i am completely deprived of sleep the whole night, but keeping her nxt to me, she atleast doesnt get fussy and i can rest my body for those 4 hours except for the one or 2 hourly diaper changes.

dont know what else to do, i hope this phase passes away soon...!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  10. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Poo, these words kept me sane whenever Kiran went through those phases (yes, there will be many more of those, but they are just a phase)
    “"You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort…. but you are not a pacifier!” — by Paula Yount
    It will pass. In the meanwhile, if you feel like expressing in the morning and storing it in the fridge, you can nap a little in the afternoon while your husband feeds her (if you are very tired). BTW, do see if you can use a good nursing pad for the leaking. They will save you tonnes of laundry.
    P.S. When I look back, I remember DS went through this phase when he was around 6 weeks old (adjusted age for prematurity would be newborn or 1 week old). I think it went away when he was around 10 weeks old or adjusted age of 4 weeks. But the time he was 3 months old (adjusted age of 1.5 months) he was sleeping 3 to 4 hours in the night. Just wanted to show the light at the end of the tunnel is nearer than you think ;-)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009