1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Sweating in infants

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sharbani, Sep 4, 2009.

1. sharbani

sharbani New IL'ite

Hi All,

i want to know if it is common for infants to have sweating on their heads...do moms have any experience with this...my baby is 2 months old..
    i always cover my babys head with a cap to protect her from catching cold but whenever i hold her, especially after she wakes up from sleep, her head is full of sweat....is this normal...should i stop putting cap on her head...?
    i will talk about it with my paediatrician as well...but pls give ur advise...

thanks & regards

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Sharbani

My paediatrician told me that when a baby is clammy (damp and cold to the touch) or is sweating, then the baby is too warm. I'm not sure what the temperature is in the room that your baby sleeps, but maybe she doesn't need a hat all the time. The general rule is, babies need one more layer than an adult, so there's no need to bundle her too warmly if it is not cold. As for "catching cold", if you mean catching a common cold (illness), that is caused by a virus and not low temperatures. Just to be sure, check with your paediatrician like you say.

3. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Agree with Ansuya. My baby too sweats if I cover her head with a cap. So don't do it. I haven't used a cap even when it was chill due to the rains and Nilu never caught a cold. But if you are going out in very chill and windy weather, make sure your LO's ears are covered. You can use ear mufflers for that.

4. sharbani

sharbani New IL'ite

Thanks a lot Anusuya n Anitha for ur replies..

i have stopped putting cap on her head n that has made sweating almost negligible now...

regards

5. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi Sharbani,

I agree with Anusuya and Anitha. Vinu was born when the monsoon's were at its peak and also the weather was windy at times. I used to cover her head for the sake of keeping her warm and found that she sweated a lot. It helps to keep the head uncovered. Your baby is just too warm. To check if your baby is cold, touch the tips of her nose (I read a book which asked mothers not to check the fingers and feet for warmth but the tips of the nose). If she is cold, it will be cold. Then you could swaddle her and wrap her up (no need to cover her head still). Else, your baby is doing just fine.

Alos, does your baby have a lot of hair on her head? Mine does. If she does have then covering up her head could add to the sweating.

Cheers!
    P

6. sharbani

sharbani New IL'ite

Thanks Vinu4me for the useful tip...i now always touch her nose to see if she is cold or not...

No, my baby doesnt have too much hair on the head...infact she has hair only on the sides of her head...i am waiting for hair to grow on her head...

regards

7. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi Sharbani,

Glad it worked! Less hair on your baby's head is a blessing in one sense. My LO now has a head full of hair which can't be tied up. Nor does she allow me to comb her hair.. saves you one big trouble ;). Long hair days will soon be there though :).

Regards,
    Poornima

8. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I guess its common in some kids, because i was in same situation as you last year...

Literally we both were scared if some thing wrong,as she sweats alot after her sleep...infact her place get wet and sometimes sweat flow from her forehead too...

Doctor asked us to maintain the room temperature, as it was winter that time here we on the heater ...basically her body use to be warm...so totally avoided wearing head cap...

9. tranquility

tranquility Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sharbani,

I have posted a reply to you in your other thread "Should I choose a date or not" .Please check that thread. I just replied in this thread since u are visiting this thread recently. Don't know if u are checking that thread anymore. Hence I came to this thread..

10. sharbani

sharbani New IL'ite

Thanks Gokusha for your reply....yeah i have stopped putting cap on her head...