1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Applying eyetex for new born

Discussion in 'Infants' started by prathibatp, Aug 26, 2009.

1. prathibatp

prathibatp New IL'ite

Dear all
    My baby is 11 days old.According to our tradition they will apply kajal to new born on 11th day.Can u pls suggest it is good to apply kajal on eye to new born?.

2. adara

adara Bronze IL'ite

When my daughters were babies the pediatrician advised me not to apply kajal since it may cause eye contamination. These kajals are not pure as they have a lot of added chemicals and that will hurt the baby's delicate eye. I remember people especially ladies...particularly my MIL insisting that I put kajal and that old wives tale that the eyes will become beautiful if you put kajal.
    But since the doctor advised not to I would not listen to anyone else. Some of them even started like "Are you the only one in this whole world having a girl child....:rantDon't we know and did we not do it" Also some of them said "She is too obsessive.....devoid of common sense" and what not. I got to hear so much though we lived in a metro city in India. I was more adamant not to do it and both my dd now have beautiful eyes! :rotfl

Adara

3. prathibatp

prathibatp New IL'ite

Thanks adara. Even i am not going to apply kajal on new born eye.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

One of the other threads the poster said that kajal contains lead and is dangerous for babies. Seems dangerous for anyone. Perhaps some inventive Indian lady should develop a safe product for newborns .......

5. prettylady

prettylady New IL'ite

I faced the same situation too...but i applied home made kajal...it's easy to make...So many people suggested Eyetex(for babies-new product) but i would never do that..

6. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

I second the comments given by all. It is advisable not to use anything for the eyes. I am using kajal only to darken the eyebrows of my three and half month old baby. Though my grandma has put loads of kajal into my eyes when I was small and have a prominent black line, it is advisable not use them on infants.

Do not worry after sometime in the teens the daughters start applying kajal, mascara and start grooming on their own.

Regards,
    Lynette

7. Vasuma09

Vasuma09 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

It is not good to use on newborn, as it contains lot of chemicals, so please dont use it

8. Tianna

Tianna Senior IL'ite

Even my pediatrician has advised not to use Kajal.. I'm little bit hesitant to put tika on my infant's forehead. I have heard from my friend that her grandma had made her kajal paste made by burning rice with some ingredients added to it. Anyone in this site who know its preparation??? Please post it.

9. prettylady

prettylady New IL'ite

Hello Tianna
    Even my pediatrician advised against applying any kajal..But as i am using kajal and tika both made by my mom,i have no qualms about it.

Kajal:Take a kundu(is used to put deepam) and pour some sesame/til oil in it.It should be a bit big..or you can use a glass bottle with a metal cap.put a hole in the cap for the jyothi.Take a small piece of clean new white(thin type) cloth,put it in the oil and lit the lamp.( It's the usually way we lit the lamp but here we use cloth..)
    Put a copper plate on top of the flame and leave it(my mom lit the deepam and placed two big glasses besides it and used them to support the plate).The plate should not be too flat and the inside of the plate should face the fire so that the ends dont allow the flame to escape.Later after it cools down hold the plate with the corners and turn it.You can see a black layer.Scrape that black powder in a small box using a clean knife.You get very little powder.Add a small drop of ghee(cow's)to it and mix with a wooden stick(can use a tooth pick).The amount will be very less but i can bet mine will be sufficient for atleast an year(for me and my daughter) :)

Caution:You cannot remove this kajal's stains from clothes.

Tika: I felt his is easy and i like it too as it gives a glossy effect..
    Take sago/sabudana/saggubiyyam and a spoon rice/rice rava and should dry fry these both until they turn to pitch black.My mom failed twice in that.We left it on the stove for hours but of no use..Then we learned that we should use an earthern pot for that.We used a big size prammidhi(the ones we buy for Diwali) and in no time they were fuming,black and kind of pasty.Take that messy black thing,put it in a bowl,add some water and boil it until it turns to a smooth liquid.Add some drops of good perfume to it while boiling, otherwise the tika when applied attracts flies.When it turns thick switch off the stove,pour it in a box and dry it in hot sun for 2-3 days.It settles down hard and it will not be sticky when touched.Everyday you put 2-3 drops of water in it rub it and put it on your dearie's forehead.Let it dry for a while.And hah..these stains can be removed ;-)

I hope i am clear.Just try these and if there is any doubt i will be happy to help...

10. Tianna

Tianna Senior IL'ite

Thanks Prettylady for ur reply. I will try and leave a msg.
    Will the kajal with ghee remains wet/sticky or dries.

BTW When we were in Sec'bad our neighbor used to do the kajal as u have mentioned with deepam, She used to apply some bean pod like vegetable's inner flesh on the copper plate to make kajal.