1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Infant education

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Mythily, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Re: Info needed abt Infant education

P too hated flash cards. I tried borrowing the hooked on phonics set from the library when he was 2 and he was more interested in tearing. Had better success with online sites (cannot tear) - plus he loved the cause and effect (sound when he clicked on something.

2. lakshmit

lakshmit Bronze IL'ite

hi,
    I joined little gems 2 yrs back.. For ur information little gems now has moved to madipakkam. Revathy sakaran is the founder. I started teaching my daughter from 3 mths. When she was 7 mths... i made her sit on my lap and was aksing her to pick up country flags.. She picked it up..
    a 7 mth kid knows 55 country flags, 275 words, 30 flowers, 30 leaders, reptiles, vegetables.. I have the photo also... Let me check with my husband about posting it in this forum... Now she is 2 yrs old ... If u call her for study.. she loves studying... she infact cries if i take her out of the study room.. she says amma pls teach me... She has got a very good grasping power... All i did is spending 10 mts 3 times a day....
    Now she knows addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and equation and can also read a sentence little...

love...
    lakshmi.

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Like everything else one method of learning may not suit every child I guess. I was thinking it might work to some extent with Aadhu because he loves the picture books he has (one picture per page - almost like a flash card).

V.

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

That's exactly why I thought he will like the flashcards. At 1, he loved his Dr Seuss Super Senses books, loved it to bits and pieces :rotflactually. Maybe the books are more sturdy, solid and feel good in his hands. He likes those chart thingies, learnt his Tamil alphabets from it, maybe something like that may work better with him then.

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Krithi - The alphabet charts I found were pretty useless becuase they have the actual letters in very small font and the picture is what gets their attention. The one hanging on our wall has become a vocab chart rather than an alphabet one! Hope you have better luck!

V.

6. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Vanathi, you have a point - its like parrot-like teaching, memorising without understanding...Mmh..makes me think about it..But do you think they can recollect these things when they learn the same thing in school when they get older (when they can understand better)? Could it be something familiar rather than something entirely new and intimidating? I am just thinking about all possibilities.

Lakshmit - Nice to know about your LO. I have a few queries. Can you please take time to explain them? How did you teach math to your LO? Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and equations can be done only with proper understanding. Do you make her memorise them? What cards do you show her? How do you actually teach her? Please explain them in detail...

Also as you said you taught her from the 3rd month, now that she is 2 yrs old, is she able to relate to them now whatever she learnt in her infancy? Like for example, lets say you taught her to identify fruits in her infancy, is she able to identify them now without you having to teach her again?

Radhee

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

No idea radhee. Hope the moms whose kids have gone through this program can help there. I am curious...

V.

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Vanathi,

A too had liked the books on colours and shapes with just one picture a page but cards, somehow he didn't like them. I even tried making my own but gave up. He isn't a chart person either. Mom bought couple of them from chennai and he cut them out happily;)

Me too curious to know about this learning program. I mean i have been 'Talking' to my son ever since i had to handle him in my hip and do chores but he hadn't responded this way. I am confused how a 3 month old can be taught to identify flags etc.,

On the memorising part, again i suppose each individual is different. I have learnt carnatic music so lots of telugu songs i sing without knowing... that means i memorised them. But when it comes to academics i cannot remember something unless i know what it is.

Latha

9. lakshmit

lakshmit Bronze IL'ite

hi radhee,

U've asked me how do i teach maths.. First of all, the rule of this education is u should not expect anything from ur kid. All u have to do is simply follow the methods said in the institution. They told me to teach only for 10 mts -3 times a day. I started maths for my kid during the mth of 10. When i show her the maths card my kid will sometime see and sometime play. I don't bother about anything. I just keep on saying...
    I make her sleep all the time and teaches her the addition during her sleep. I hope u all know that during sleep the subconcious mind gets opened and any info if u put during that time gets registered well..
    I never test my kid at anytime. she will automatically teach u everything. The fruits and vegetables she will pick it and say the name..
    Today if i'm going to teach her about fruits-- i keep the real fruits on my bed and allow her to touch and feel. In case of animals i took her to zoo
    during 4th mth and showed her the animal whatever she read.. Once again i took her during 9th mth... Now that she is 2 yrs old... she speaks a lot sometimes on her own and sometimes to me.. That time once she said that 20-5 equals 15. I was surprised and happy too....
    Anyhow these information has to be stored in her mind at some age.
    If u r going to spend sometime now later u don't have to spend so much of time... Thatz what i feel... I never put pressure on her saying u should listen to what i'm teaching... Sometimes she listens and sometimes she doesn't. Whatever it is i do a teaching for 15 mts 3 times a day...
    She doesn't cry... She infact asks me "amma padikka polamma"...
    I'm really proud of her...she was called for tv programme too.. Because we have to come her immediately. Told that we will send the pictures taken by us...

love...
    lakshmi.

Sasea likes this.
  10. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Lakshmi,

Thanks for the reply, but I am still not getting the hang of the teaching method! Sorry if I sound like a dumbo...To make it more clear, can you pls tell me:
    1. What exactly is printed on the math card?
    2. What exactly do you tell her when showing the math card?
    3. What exactly do you tell her when she is asleep (the subconscious mind part of it).
    4. If she is able to say 20-5=15, has she memorized that before? I am unable to understand how a 2-yr-old could do calculations...Therefore, I request you to kindly explain this.

Regarding teaching the subconcious mind, this is new to me. I haven't heard of this before. I don't know much about this and I have not googled about it yet. I will first look it up and get to know more about it before I clarify things with you...

I am asking you all this because I feel it is better to know things directly from someone who has gone through the program.

Thanks,
    Radhee