1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pls help.. Baby is refusing to feed

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Vinu4me, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Vinu has been refusing all solid food since the last two days. She generally loves her food and laps it all completely without much fuss. This is bothering me a lot. My MIL wants me to add sugar to her food and sweeten it a bit extra... I am not for it. Please help!! What could be the reason to do so all of a sudden. It was not a gradual refusal.

Please help!!

Regards,
    Poornima.

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Does she appear ill? If she is active, no fever, normal quantities of urine then could be teething or just a "food strike" (which happens for no reason that I could ever find out). Make sure she's taking lots of liquids and just wait it out - she should be over it in a few days. And sgar - I really wouldnt.

Vanathi.

3. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi Vanathi,

She is quite active and cheerful (except when I try to feed her). All the other things do seem ok. I do hope it is just teething symptoms as you said, cos the thought of a "food strike" just scares me. How do I find out if she is teething? For how many days do babies refuse to eat when they are teething(or even food strike)? Do they start eating the way they used to earlier? She was a good eater... I hope she gets back to normal pretty soon.

Regards,
    Poornima.

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Vinu, do you still pump? (or did you ever?) It is commonly believed that children prefer sweet things because breastmilk is sweet - much sweeter than unsweetened cow's milk. If you can pump and add it to cereals, it could help.
    If you run a clean finger over your child's gum you may feel a slight bump if the teeth are about to break through. I found that my child will fuss about eating for long, long before I could feel the bumps.
    If Vinu is nursing then you could up the nursing sessions temporarily till the eating strike is over. Hugs, it is very difficult on the mommy when the child cant communicate. Hope she eats better soon.

5. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

I used to pump earlier, but, its quite some time now since my milk dried out :cry:. Vinu has been on a combination of formula milk/unsweetened cow's milk since then. She is not eating her cereal/rice, but has a full banana happily. That is the only solid which she is taking. I am thinking of diluting her cereal to a thinner consistency and giving it to her this evening. I hope it works.

In the meantime I will check out the teething part too... I think I saw little white marks on her lower jaw gums (where the teeth come out first)... but don't know if I can feel anyhting. Will check it out.

Can I give her apple(unpeeled but cored) juice? Will it help? I am apprehensive about giving her milk too much lest she gets gassy... looking for liquid alternatives...... any ideas?

Regards,
    Poornima.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  6. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Poornima;
    I can understand your difficulty. But as Vanathi said if she doesn't shows any other symptoms you don't have to worry. Sometimes I think babies go on food strike just to increase their mother's BP. Since she is having banana's it may be that she is bored with regular food.
    You can add little jaggery for sweetness.
    As for liquids you can give her freshly squeezed orange juice too.
    - Nitha

7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

P, have you tried the sathumaavu kanji?
    Since you stay close to the area, PHC in West Mambalam makes these weaning foods - unlike multigrain kanjis, it has only sprouted ragi and fried gram powder. Dr S R recommended these for us , we gave them without milk with a bit of jaggery like Nitha said. (It is a different story he refused to after he turned 1 :) ) They also make a rice based weaning food (cant recall what). Actually Dr S R, if you are still seeing her, had some interesting ways to get food into DS. If it worries you, talk to your paed.

8. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

Poornima,
    I remember about 2 months ago, my DD went on a food strike for couple of days... I think maybe like 5 days.. I took her to her paed and she did confirm that DD had a viral infection going on, it was actually starting to clear up. She had no symptoms what so ever except for refusing solids and formula and maybe a little cranky/clingy. She would only BF... so thats all that i gave her. After a week she was again back to normal and eating again. I thought she was teething, but she wasn't it was a viral infection. Talk to her paed, or better yet take her....

dp

9. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Yesterday I diluted her cereal in milk and put it in a bottle (made the hole slightly bigger) and gave it to her... and she had it all!!! I am not sure if it is coincidence. For the time being I think I shall give it to her like this as she is having it.... but eventually I do want to get back to bowl and spoon... though I do admit this is convenient for me.

Nitha - let me try the jaggery with her lunch today afternoon.

DP - I am not sure if it is a viral infection. Vinu had a viral infection sometime back and her stools were loose. Her stools are normal now and she is quite active. Anyways my paed would be my next resort.

Krithika - I do think that she might be teething.... and maybe thats why she finds the bottle comfortable as there is no chewing. I also ran a finger over her teeth. could not feel any obvious bumps. BTW, what is PHC? are u referring to Primary Health Center? Is the quality of the food there good? Do you have an idea as to where exactly in West Mambalam? Do you also consult Dr SR?

Regards,
    Poornima

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  10. kripa shankari

kripa shankari New IL'ite

hi poornima
    i used a kanji mix called geeth which has puzhungal arisi,sago,pottukadalai
    i got it from k.m.nursing home pharmacy in r.k.shanmugham salai,k.k.nagar.
    it is quite costly(100 bucks)
    but both my kids liked it better than ragi.
    i live in nandanam,i haqd to go all the way .
    if you want you can give it a try.
    luv and hugs to you and kiddo
    krips