1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When should we tonsure / shave the baby's head?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by nidhi99, Mar 30, 2009.

1. nidhi99

nidhi99 New IL'ite

Hello Friends,

I know every body has their own custom for making bald to their baby. I do not have anything like that. Is there anybody who can tell when is the safest time period to make bald of my 9 weeks old?

In USA, how do they do for infants becz they r not able to hold their neck. Is there anyone who had this experience before. Or should I wait till she holds her neck.

Thanks

2. surya123

surya123 Senior IL'ite

usually its in 9th or 11th months the make bald for the first time......so i think by 9 months they will be sitting and hold their neck by then.....anyways there need to be someone eho have to handle thm.....

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Nidhi,

In our family it's done a few days before 1st birthday.

Just curious... why would you prefer to shave the head if it's not in your custom? Please don't take me wrong because my baby girl is due to loose her hair in couple of months and i'm soooo sad.... all those silky hair...

Latha

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Re: When should we tonsure her hair?

In our side too,we have no such custom,hence I have not tonsured my hair at all till date.For my son,we did a few days before his first birthday.Ideally,people do it around that time only.

5. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

In our inlaws place they don't have anything like that,but in my father's custom they usually take out the hair before the kid is 1 yr old.I think 9 weeks is too early.You can wait atleast till the kid is 8 or 9 months old.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Nidhi, may we know why you are asking that question. Are you being pushed by someone into tonsuring your child's head? If so and if you chose not to then tell them you need to wait for your paed's go ahead to do it. Your child's head has two soft spots, they need to be closing up before the hair can be tonsured.
    In my mother's side it was after the soft spots closed, i.e. around 14 months. In my husband's side of the family, NEVER. DH has the most gorgeous hair and so does DS. His baby hair turned into mature hair around the 1st year mark and became much dense. So, the belief that you need to shave it all off before it grew back thick is misplaced...

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Usually people do it around first birthday. Even though there may be some symbolic meaning attached to this practice (as an initiatory rite), DH and I never liked the idea of tonsuring the head. Haven't done it for our first one (3.5 years old - we gave him his first haircut) and we don't plan to do it for the second.

8. Mellow

Mellow New IL'ite

Nidhi:

Here in the USA, the tonsure is usually done at the temples, coz thats the only place where our rituals can be performed out here.
    You will have to consult with your temple priest on how he would go about with it and meantime, ask your mother or elders back in your country on when would it be approriate to carry on with the ceremony for your baby.

Enjoy!

9. AlameluP

AlameluP New IL'ite

Hi,

We got our son's head tonsured when he turned 1 - and he screamed all through it. I have heard of some people doing it as early as 8-9 months, and am able to understand that, because the kids may cooperate better at that age.

I was very careful for my son, as he had a large "fontanel" - soft spot on top of head. Once the spot got narrower, I felt more comfortable with the tonsuring.

Once advantage of tonsuring - my son had very curly hair - after 3 tonsures, his hair started growing straight, much to my delight !

Good luck

10. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    incidentally,we made our 11 mths old son bald this sunday(navratras).our 1st son had his mundan when he was 6 mths old.
    babies look strange bald & u have to answer lots of questions from strangers specilly people of different nationality.........
    i suggest if u want to get ur baby shaved do it in temple with some puja etc. wait till she is atleast 6 mths old.hair provide warmth a to the baby.
    u can hold baby in ur laps while she is shaved.sure the cry a lot but try to distract with some favourite toy.my little one was distracted by light of digicam so dh kept on clicking.............