1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

When should we tonsure / shave the baby's head?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by nidhi99, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi..

My sister in law (brothers wife..my parents don't believe in such customs)says tonsure custom should be when baby is 14 months or 18 months old. My inlaws side...3 years. And my husband he is totally against such rituals. I think 3 years are too long. So..I am going to get him bold when he will be 14 months old.

2. AVM

AVM Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,
    I saw this post at right time. My niece is now 3 months old. She has lots of hair when she was born. Doctors always advice us to shave her hair as she will sweat and catch cold. We were very scared doing that. As it is summer now and she is going to be in chennai from May we decided we will doi it by this month end. Now again I am worried on doing this. Actually recently one more baby of my relative was shaved. he was just 4 months old then. they wanted to do it early as they have to fly bk to singapore. So only we thought we will also do it. Please advice!! bonk

AVM

1 person likes this.
  3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Ladies,pls forgive my ignorance but is 'bald' a correct term to use here? Should we not call it tonsure instead?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Absolutely Sunitha. Been meaning to edit the title for a while now....here goes.
    Nidhi - hope thats ok with you. Using the right terms will make this thread easier to find when someone searches for it in IL and in search engines like Google.

Vanathi.

5. Zeenat

Zeenat Silver IL'ite

hi nidhi,
    for my 1st one we shaved her head when she was 14 days old. in our custom v have to do it asap.

6. selvirajshekar

selvirajshekar New IL'ite

Hi.my son is 2 yr and 4 months but HD not tonsure his head.due to some family problems.we are planing for this akshaya tritiya on Monday.pls can anyone tell me whtr shaving his head 1st time on that day is good or not as he is born on ashtami too

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  7. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

akshaya tritiya is a very auspicious day in hindu calendar...and i think its a good day to get the tonsure done.

8. pattumom

pattumom Junior IL'ite

Why do you want to do tonsure for 9 weeks old? wait till the bay's 1 year for tonsure ceremony

9. sudharathinavel

sudharathinavel Silver IL'ite

better you can consult with temple priest..he will guide you based on your customs ....since you are in US it would be fine if your mom or mom in law can enquire about this..

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2013