1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

vaccinations in india

Discussion in 'Infants' started by suvarchala, Mar 16, 2009.

1. suvarchala

suvarchala New IL'ite

hey
    i am travelling to india with a 3 month old.and plan to come back only when the baby is 7 months old.
    now my baby had his first set of vaccines here..dtap hib,he b etc..
    Can i get the 4 month and 6 month booster shots in india?
    is indian DTP safe?
    has any body had the exp.of such thing... please help me.
    Adhusmom .. please help me.. what should i do with IPV and pulse polio in india?
    i will ask my paed here.. but he says he doesnt know indian vaccines

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hi, We did DTaP (Aventis Daptacel) with our child. They should be available with the hospitals and are pretty much standard depending on the cold chain. If you're here in the summer time you may want to find out from the hospital about the cold chain.
    Though we started with oral polio for Kiran, his last booster was IPV. Because we are sticking to the polio vaccine schedule, I have not done the pulse polio at all.
    There is nothing like Indian vaccines LOL, at least in private practice. If you're going to the Govt-run primary health centres then maybe. But if our health minister had his way all Iof it will be from Sanofi and Smithkline-Beecham. The drugs majors have pretty much taken over India - but that's another post.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  3. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

You can opt for imported vaccines. We put Pentaxim by Sanofi Pasteur (which covers Dtap, IPV, Hib). For hepatitis B, we put Engerix-B by Glaxosmithkline. Vaccines are also made in India and I suppose they are good too...Cost wise, indian vaccines are cheaper. Since our paed recommended imported vaccines, we gave them.

Regarding polio, we have been giving our baby IPV by the vaccination schedule. But we are also giving him polio drops during pulse polio campaigns. The oral drops give intestinal immunity which the IPV does not give. Our paed asked us to give that during pulse polio even if the IPV was given very recently...

You can establish with a paed here and go by what he says.

Radhee.

4. suvarchala

suvarchala New IL'ite

thank you so much tikka and radhee.
    can you or anybody suggest me a good paed in hyd who could do DTAp,Hib, ipv...
    i would really appreciate the help.Please advice me on the following ..
    My baby takes similac or enfamil.. i cant be carrying tonnes of it.. is nestle formula fine
    next thing .. when starting him with solids, i plan to start with indian cerelac rather than carrying rice cereal from US.

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Just to confirm what Krithika and Radhee have already pointed out. Ask for Pentaxim (DTaP + Hib + IPV) for his 4ht and 6th mnth shots - presuming you want to stick to the US schedule right? If you are also giving Hep B then Engerix B or any of the others is fine. If you are coming in the next few months then there is no pulse polio to worry about - that only happens in Dec, Jan and Feb. You also dont need to give OPV at any time since you are going back to the US.

Vanathi.

6. suvarchala

suvarchala New IL'ite

thanks for the inputs ladies.
    one more question..
    do we get rotavirus in india?and specifically in hyd

7. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Yeah, rotavirus is available in the brand name of Rotarix, manufactured by Glaxosmithkline. It should be available in Hyderabad.

Radhee.

8. suvarchala

suvarchala New IL'ite

Re: vaccinations in india..

thanks radhee
    any hospital in specific for all the immunizations which has cold storage and a good paed.
    thanks in advance

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hi, Not from hyderabad, but why dont you look up Apollo's? Also do post in the Hyderabad city sub-forum.

10. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Re: vaccinations in india..

Hi,

Am not from Hyd, but a relative of mine recently went for some check ups prescribed by his office at Global Hospitals. They are new, but seem to be good. No personal experience though.

Apollo is another good group too as pointed out by Krithika.

Regards,
    Poornima.