1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vaccine prices in India

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjov, Jan 5, 2009.

1. sanjov

sanjov Bronze IL'ite

How much does normal vaccinations cost in india.
    My son had his first 6 week vaccination, including rota virus, it came to about 7k rupees, Is that the normal cost of vaccinations.

2. nilasisu

nilasisu Bronze IL'ite

hi sanjov,
    during 6th week vaccination,it costs around 1000 rs without rota virus vaccine.where did u give ur kids vaccination-india? becos im in bangalore,for my kid i gave it in bangalore.she is 3 1/2 months old.i heard that rota virus should give inbetween 3-6 months.just want to tell to u what i heard so make it sure for ur second injection.
    nila

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

It all depends on what vaccines were given and which brands were used. If the pneumococcal , IPV, rota vaccines were given and acellular pertusis vaccine was given (instead of the ordinary DTP) then the cost you have mentioned would be approximately right.

Vanathi.

4. sanjov

sanjov Bronze IL'ite

thank you for the reply. This was done at cradle, I will have to check the cost with another hospital. I am not sure of the name brands of these vaccines.

5. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

Vanathi is right. It depends on the brand and what vaccines were given. My son's 14th week vaccination costed around Rs 7750 which included DTaP, IPV, Hib, Hepatitis B, pneumococcal, and rotavirus.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Sorry for the thread hijack, dusting this Q up rather than post another one on vaccines...Mods feel free to move it to the appropriate forum if this is not the right place.
    The last time we had vaxed K, we were given IPV for the first time, instead of OPV. My question is does the IPV act differently from OPV. IF so, should I be considering the IPV we received at 21 months the first shot and carry on with the rest of the schedule for IPV (i.e. not taking into account his OPVs)? Thanks in advance.

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Krithi,
    This is from the IAP's policy statement (Aug 08):
    Child who has completed primary series of OPV: IPV may be offered as catch up vaccination for children less than 5 years of age who have completed primary immunization with OPV. IPV can be given as three doses; 2 doses at 2 month interval followed by a third dose 6 months after the first dose. OPV need not be given with these IPV doses. OPV should be given with the first and 2nd boosters of DTP and on all NID’s and SNID’s

Hope that answers your question. Original is at Indian Pediatrics - Editorial

V.

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Thanks V. That makes perfect sense. I think this was his last OPV booster that was replaced. We now have only MMR. It is such a huge relief to be done with shots, not that K protests, but I hate living with the after effects with a crabby toddler!

9. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

what is this rota virus vaccine.my son is 8 mths old.the vaccines he got r BCT,DPT combi 1,2,3 ,HEP B .other vaccines that i got for the elder one r chicken pox,typhoid ....
    is it the combination vaccine i.e which combines all the above mentioned
    pragati

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Rotavirus is a separate vaccine protecting against rotaviral diarrhoea and is given by mouth (its not part of any combination). The first dose can only be given to babies younger than 12 weeks old so your son doesnt need it.

Vanathi.