1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby's Complexion

Discussion in 'Infants' started by pinky2, Nov 24, 2008.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Pinky,like the others said,complexion at birth is surely not the complexion you end with finally.Usually people look at the ears of the newborn and say that whatever colour the ear is,that is going to be the final colour.This has been proved wrong in the case of both my sons.My eldest was much fairer than he is now(6 yrs),school and outside playing has changed his complexion a lot now.My second looks very fair now(9 mnths),but I am sure he too will change as he grows up.I am fair and hubby is dark,so my kids might end up a mix of both:).

My eldest was also on phototherapy for jaundice soon after birth for about 4 days and after that his skin too looked much darker than it is now.Like Kritika said,just apply olive or coconut oil and give good bath and keep your baby healthy,that is more important,the rest will just fall in place!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. Bindu Thomas

Bindu Thomas Senior IL'ite

Dear Pinky,
    Most babies when they are born tend to have a fairer complexion than a little while later... Because they have been inside the mommy... safe... U said ur baby's body temp was low so the warmer increased her temperature... this would mean that her blood supply to her skin improved and this can give a darker complexion...She is very likely going to have the current complexion when she grows up....

Having said this - My second son had a dark complexion when he was born and his ears looked dark as well so we expected him to have a darker complexion than my elder son... but over the next few weeks and months he turned into a fairer complexion almost the same as my first son... It had to do with the fine body hair he had (I suppose)..(I have a darker complexion than my husband). My first son is almost 9 years old now and he has now started to look darker -this is because he is going for sports in his school - cricket and basketball practise...) He has tanned...This change of complexion usually returns back to normal when the sunexposure is reduced...

So don't worry about it yet.. Just enjoy life with ur baby..

3. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Sunitha,

you are right, we believe the color of the baby's ear will be the final color they get. Even now my DH is telling the same.She was on phototherapy too for two days.Thanks for your soothing words and for sharing your experience on this.I'm planning to give her oil massage once her cord is off.

Thanks,
    Pinky.

4. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Bindu,

Thanks for sharing your experience.Since her color changed after few minutes of birth, i need to think of these....other than that we are happy abt her. Good to get the information from you, that the warmer increased her blood supply which I unaware of.

Thanks,
    Pinky..

5. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Krithika,

Your LO gave you a nice name..I like it too....Thanks for the update on your name...

Pinky...