1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Head control

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Proud_Mom, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Proud_Mom

Proud_Mom Guest

Hey I can't wait for my fourth-month darling son to gain head control!!!

Just curious to know from other moms as to when your kids gained head control and if you waited until then to start them on semi-solid diet? Thanks...

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Proud Mom, it took our preemie 4.5 to 5 months to gain most of the head control and almost 7 for full control. Though we started weaning food at 6.5 months, my LO started eating only at 7.5 monts (or his corrected age of 6 months.)
    It is a good thing you dont seem worried about the lack of complete head control. I would say wait till he has good control if not complete control. Hugs

3. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

congrats on baby!!!
    as for my 2 daughters, I started mixing a little rice cereal into their bottles of milk at 3 mos. Started with a very minimal amount and increased it gradually. Both girls were hungry little babies and this kept their stomach full at night. I used rice cereal because it was the easiest to digest although we didn't officially have their "chorunnu" till 6 mos. As for anything else, I did wait till they were able to control their head and used a highchair with infant support when feeding them with a spoon.
    With the cereal in the bottle I had to make the opening in the nipple a little larger but be carefull not to make it too big. Of course you know your baby better than any of us, so you will have to decide when the time is right.

4. Riya007

Riya007 Senior IL'ite

Hi Proud Mom,

My baby will be six months this coming week. He gained head control around 4 months though not complete...

I havent started him on any solids yet, just breastmilk while I am with him and formula whilst I am away. I am planning to start though now that he is six months. See if you can wait for some more time though it is fine even if you start now. The main reason why they say to wait till six months is so they say the child wont be prone to allergies...though i have seen a lot of my friends start at 3 months or so and things are fine...no problems with their kids.

Love, Riya :thumbsup

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

My son had partial head-control at 3mnths and was sitting unsupported at the end of his 6th month. The normal range would be 3 to 6 mnths for partial (ie holding up the head when placed on tummy) and upto 9 mnths for complete head control. I started solids at 4 mnths when he could sit supported on my lap - only used a highchair after 7 mnths. And one more thing - if you are starting cereals please give it with a spoon - dont add it to the bottle.

Vanathi.

6. Proud_Mom

Proud_Mom Guest

Thanks for all your feedback. It was very helpful. I was waiting to start him on semi solids. But, the pediatrician wants me to hold it until next month Rant!!!!!! Also, he has a slight cold for the past couple of days and he vomits even milk now and then... So, I guess its back to waiting again...!!!!

7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Well, look at it this way... your LO is going to receive some good immune properties for one more month and will protected from allergies even more. Hope your LO gets well quickly. Hugs