1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Not walking yet

Discussion in 'Infants' started by meeta shah, Nov 20, 2008.

1. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Hi Friends
    Aarya is 1yr and 2 weeks old and showing no interest in walking...She is walking around furniture form last 4 and half month like a champ...Climbing up and down the stairs really fast but when it comes to independant walking or standing, she has not interest...I am really worried as three of her friends of same age has already started walking and running around from last couple of months...Could there be any problem with her stamina or maybe something with her legs?

What should I do?
    Meeta

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Meeta,I think Aarya is doing fine.My eldest started walking much after 13 or 14 mnths.For his first birthday,he was just cruising around.Each child is different,don't worry!

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Meeta - She is normal - dont worry. It takes between 4-5 mnths on average from first pulling up to stand/cruise to independant walking. One day she will just do it :)

Vanathi.

PS - Aadhu started 4 days after his first bday but upto 18 mnths is considered normal.

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Meeta, have people been telling you about skinny legs. We used to get that a lot. K started walking at 16 months, almost 5 months after he started pulling up to stand. We were told all kinds of things about massaging legs with heated oil, hot water baths, giving more calcium, protein, weaning (just about everything I did was wrong and complete strangers knew exactly how to make him walk!). Seriously!
    But the thing is once he learnt to walk, he never hesitated, never faltered even once. Just stood up and walked like a pro, one day. Dont worry. Enjoy her non-running days, after she learns to walk you wont get a minute of rest.
    There is one thing that helped K walk was the push walker/rider (in Tamil it is called the Nada Vandi!). It has three wheels, looks like a scooter and has a small box for carrying toys. Something like this.

5. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Meeta, we just got the Chicco Activity Walker for Riya's birthday and she uses it to walk all over the place.

Don't worry, Aarya'll walk soon enough and then you'll be running all around the place chasing her. :)

Raj

6. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Hi Sunitha, Vanathi, Tikka and Raj
    Thanks for your reply…Definitely feeling little better after that. I guess I am worrying more because in our friends group all other kids are walking and when we get to gather on weekends all they ask is, “Is Aarya walking yet?”

Raj, we have the same toy…My parents also got that one when we were in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">India</st1:place></st1:country-region> and she used to walk with it over there. When we came back she used that toy for a week or so and now she doesn’t want to use it any more. She seems really happy with crawling.

Thanks
    Meeta

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Meeta, when people ask me questions like these on Riya, like, 'She has NO teeth YET?!!!!' I give them a smile and reply confidently, that I am glad she doesn't yet, one less work for me with cleaning and taking care of those toofers. And that shuts them up.

For some weird, unexplainable reason, people like to get on a first time mom's nerves and have her worry on things that are not important. If you show them you are not worried at all, they'll get off of your case. Just tell them, you are enjoying this phase in her and your life, and you're not in a hurry for her to walk.

Raj

8. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Hi Meeta, my 3 year old started walking early but didn't really start speaking until he was well after 2.5 years (more close to 3). I like you used to dread the question "Isn't he talking yet? How old is he?" I agree with Riya - kids do some things faster than other kids and on some things they may take their own time.