1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody with 4th degree tear

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Sujimallige, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Hello friends,

I had my baby around a month back.Labor turned out v tough and unfortunately i ended up with 4th degree severe tear.
    I wanted to know if there are any mothers here who had the same so that they can share their healing with me.Like if they followed any special care,diet or anything.How long it took to heal and get back to normal.
    I really dont want anybody else suffering this but would be glad to know some recovery process.

Moderators: I know this question is in wrong forum but i felt there is much activity of mothers here and i posted my query here hoping to get some reply.

Thanks
    suji

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Suji, hugs. That can't be fun... but congrats on your LO. I had an episiotomy that did not heal well. I still have a lot of scarring. I was on sitz bath till 1 month and had lactulose all the time, given how prone I was to a log jam (not necessarily constipated). Hope you heal well soon, suji

3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Suji, I went through 4th degree tear too and it wasn't a fun ride. So hugs to you. I think the tearing is the worst part of my whole pregnancy/labor ordeal (trust me when I say, I would go through the medication free 13 hour labor again and again if it promises no tearing).

I did sitz bath for a month, three times a day, followed by dibucaine ointment application on medicated pads, so the stitches won't rub against each other. I also took lactulose which gave me and my baby some bad gas for a looong time. :hide:

I used to sit on the boppy pillow for a month since it hurt to sit anywhere else. I refused to take painkillers since I was worried it will hurt my baby somehow (I am not a big fan of painkillers anyway), so it hurt like crazy. It still gives me the chills when I think of that time. I couldn't even hold or cuddle my baby for the first couple weeks since I was in a lot of pain and couldn't sit other than while breastfeeding. :-(

As for diet, I don't remember eating anything different or leaving anything out of my diet because of the stitches.

I hope you heal well, and take care.

Raj

4. Riya007

Riya007 Senior IL'ite

Hi Suji,

First of all, congrats on having your beautiful baby. I hope you and the baby are doing fine.

I didnt have a fourth degree tear but a third degree tear. I had a difficult labor as well and ended up with the tear.

I was advised not to lift anything heavy (apart from the baby) and also that I SHOULD NOT BE CONSTIPATED as this would make matters worse. I was given laxatives and was told to take them everyday so that the bowel movements would be smooth. I was checked by the midwife and doctor on a regular basis.

Try and have good fibre in your diet as well as plenty of water so that you can pass stools without straining. Also have as much rest as possible. My mum used to not include any brinjals or potatoes in my diet. I dont know if this has any scientific significance or no but I was not in any state to argue with her. Maybe you can try it. Remember to always keep the area clean by washing with water at least four times a day. My stitches are all healed now.

Because of the tear, the doctor also advised me not to have another child for at least a year.

Good luck. Hope this helps

Love, Riya

5. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

I had episiotomy stitches and used sitz bath thrice a day until it completely healed. I took Colase, stool softener - especially because we consume a lot of rice and use spices. Prunes and spinach were part of my diet. I used to sit on rubber tube used for patients with hemorroids. I used witch hazel medicated pads with a little bit of epifoam (steroidal foam used for comfort in episiotomies - you need prescription for this). But this I started reducing the amount as I started to heal. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

-L.

6. Sujimallige

Thank you tikka, raj, riya007 and lavanya for your replies.

I apologize for late response,we shifted our house and i had no internet for 3 days.My baby had her vacci and she has been cranky also.So i am having a field day!!!bonk
    I really feel so sad that you all have also experienced this pain.

Tikka,i dont know what is latulose? i use fiber supplement hope that is enough.

Raj I am using a numbing ointment called americane for the anal region and medicated pads known tucks.Are these same as you used? Raj i agree with you that this tear is the worst part of my entire pregnancy.I also lost a lot of blood in labor.I tried to do without pain killers but i almost fainted with pain so ended up taking them.

Riya even my mother dosent give me potatoes and brinjal.She says that causes vayu in our bodies.Even green chilli is not given as she says it causes itch in the area.

I am taking colace tablets twice a day,but Lavanya how long did you take colace?? as on the bottle he tells not to use more than 1 week.

I drink benifiber twice a day to not get constipated.
    I am not able to find time to do stiz bath at all.Some how i have to include that in my routine.With this shifting and baby care,nursing her every 3 hrs,daiper changing i am losing myself somewhere Drowning.

Thank you friends for your support,shall keep you all posted with my recovery.I have my doctor appt next week,dont know what is happening down there,i am so scared.

suji

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Yes, Tucks is what I used too. Suji, I know how hard it can be with a new baby and all. I also moved my sitz bath at the end of the list to do, but trust me, if you do it, it will help you with faster healing, and it also helps with the pain. I used to do it right before my bath. Even 5 minutes of it is better than none at all...

Hang in there, and do take care.

Raj

8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I think lactulose does the same thing as colase, prevent constipation. So you are doing great.
    Try and work in sitz bath after your morning potty, bath, after dinner - just 15 minutes to yourself. I was told to add a few drops of Povidine, so that there was no infection - I dont know if it is the done thing. It does get terribly hectic with a newborn and most mothers prioritise themselves last. But you need this time to heal well and quickly. So Hugs Suji.

9. Sujimallige

Thank u raj and tikka for the response.

I have started pumping and storing milk now a days.Not entirely but some quantity so that my mother will feed her in betn and in this time i am doing sitz bath.So i found out a way to make time.

Just one feeding at night and 1 in morning so that i get some sleep and can get time for my work.

suji

10. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Suji, you go girl!! :thumbsup

I have been thinking of doing the same thing with our second child. Riya refused to take a bottle no matter what, but I am hoping that the second one will so I can pump and have hubby do a couple feedings while I rest or finish a meal! That's the plan, we'll see how that works out.