1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

what to do when LO's suffering from???

Discussion in 'Infants' started by anudhivi, Nov 6, 2008.

1. anudhivi

anudhivi Silver IL'ite

hi mommies,

my LO was in severe fever for the past 2 days.
    as i only with him i suffered a lot to tolerate him.
    gave rice kanji only for the past 2 days

however managed and he came to normal today.

share your personal experiences as wt to do when our LO's suffer from fever, stomachache, etc before taking them to a pediatrician.

2. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Anudhivi, I am glad your baby is doing well now. There are a lot of threads floating around in this forum and Foods forum on these various topics that you are talking about.

With babies, I believe, if any condition persists for more than 2 days, it's better to call the pedi and keep them updated. I am even guilty of calling the pedi the same day. :hide: Personal experience says go with your gut feeling since you are the best person to gauge what's going on and how your baby is behaving.

Raj

3. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

It is really tough on mommies when their LOs are unwell, especially if you're alone. We generally dont medicate fever below 102. Febrile seizures run in DH's family, so if the fever goes above 102 and rebounds within two hours of medication, I would immediately call the paediatrician. The last time K was ill like that, we gave crocin at every four hours dosage and ibugesic every six hour dosage.
    Thankfully the fever came down within 8 hours and then we continued with crocin, on paed's advice.
    Another trick I learnt from my parents in law is to use wet washclothe on the limbs, not the head. It brings down temperature faster - dunno why?
    Push liquids (learnt this time I am not pushing liquids enough.) K was ready to have only juices, so I did just that with some kanji thrown in here and there. I tend to carry my child a lot when he is unwell. I used to scale down solids hugely and up my nursing, frequent short nursing sessions.
    Hope your child is back on his feet soon. Hugs.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  4. cheerful

cheerful Bronze IL'ite

I am hoping that you LO is feeling better now.

For fever usually if it goes above 100, here we give him tylenol, every 4 hours. Or sometimes combine it with motrin at night so that he can sleep continuosly. These are safe. We would call Ped if the fever is not coming down after two days.

For stomach ache, we give him gripe water. Sometimes "Ashta Choorna" that is brought from India. he usually feel better soon eafter he takes this.

For cold, use humidifier.Sometimes we boil water with tulasi(here if available),cinnamon,turmeric,ginger (not all whatever ia available). With the baby , stay close to the stove when it starts steaming. Gently direct the steam towards him with your hand. (or use an inhaler).Also clean their stuffy nose frequently with saline drops.

Food, as Krithika suggested "more liquids".

I used to call the Dr. before more frequently, now that slowly we are learning. It worries all of us so much.

5. daffodil

daffodil Bronze IL'ite

For a runny nose, I usually roast some ajwain seeds on a tawa, put it in a kerchief & gently press it over my tot's cheeks, chest & forehead.
    She has few bouts of sneezes but the flam comes out soon & relieves her from congestion.

I even coup it with giving her milk bolied with fresh turmeric ( not the powder, its appears like ginger root & is yellow in colour)
    I crush it coarsely & boil it in milk and give her.

Constipation Remedy:
    Soak black raisins in warm water and squeeze out the juice and can be given two times. No constipation problem at all and this can be given to even 2 months old kid!!
    Or if the child is big enogh you can give him prunes to eat,as prunes act as good laxatives.

Came across a blog specifically dedicated to the current thread:
    PAEDIATRIC DISORDERS/Common Infant diseases/SAVE YOUR CHILD

6. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Mommies, don't want to sound like a 'thread police' here but we have stickies in the 'Baby/Kids Food' subforum and specific threads in this forum that talk about all these topics in separate threads. It will be really appreciated and helpful if you guys post your wisdom and suggestions there instead of posting them here. It will also help moms tremendously when they're searching for remedies if everything is one place.

Thank you for your understanding.

Raj