1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to make baby chubby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by lovemybaby, Jul 16, 2008.

1. lovemybaby

lovemybaby New IL'ite

Hai mommies of chubby babies,

Hope you can answer my millionaire question that has been there since my baby was born. She was born healthy and weighed 8lbs. Now she is 6 months and no matter how much I try she looks skinny. I exclusively BF her for 6 months and started cereal couple of weeks ago. Any suggestions.

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Welcome to IL! How much does she weigh now?

Vanathi.

3. lovemybaby

lovemybaby New IL'ite

She weighs 15 lbs and 13 ounces

4. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Your subject line makes me laugh, lovemybaby. Why do you want to make your baby chubby? Being chubby is not always a sign of good health. Anyway, 15 lbs. is a good weight for a 6 month old baby. That's how much my baby weighed when she was at that age (she was 6lbs. 2ozs. when she was born). If your baby is eating healthy, sleeping well and there seem to be no issues with her overall health and well being, I wouldn't worry too much. And studies suggest that babies who are overweight tend to struggle with weight gain problems later in their life, and you don't want that.

Raj

5. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi,I know how it feels when our kids are skinny.But its not in our hands.Every body has its own way of handling fat - depending on metabolism.Do not feel bad.

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Your LO's weight is good and weight gain is normal. I wouldnt worry abt her at all. In any case you cannot make a baby chubby - they are either born that way or not.

Vanathi.

7. lovemybaby

lovemybaby New IL'ite

Yes thats what her pediatrician says that she is normal weight. But she looks skinny as she is tall for her age. riyasmommy, my baby doesn't sleep well too and fight during feedings. Please try to understand my problem ladies.

8. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

What exactly is the problem? Being skinny is not a problem, why make it into one?

Vanathi.

9. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

My baby doesn't sleep well either, she never did. She fights off naps, she creates a big ruckus just before bed time. In fact, she's sitting right next to me fussing and I know she's tired and sleepy but she wouldn't go to sleep. As for feedings, you need to be a little bit more specific as to what she eats, her feeding routine etc. so we can better help you.

Why do you sound so worried, if your pedi says she's healthy? Like you said, she's tall and skinny, just the way she is, nothing you can do about it. Just enjoy for who she is, and teach her the same thing, starting now!

Raj

10. meeta shah

meeta shah Senior IL'ite

Hi lovemybaby

My DD was premature and her birthweight was 5.0 lb. She is always been on 10th percentile. She is 16.5 lb. at 8.5 months.
    I used to worry a lot and was always thinking about tricks to add calories to her diet. But now I have realised that weight has never affected her any abilities. Some days she used to eat good and some days she used to stay on hunger strikes but neither of scenerio affected her sleep pattern or her mood.
    Now, I never force her to eat. I just follow her clues. And now we both are happier than ever. For this I also like to thank my friends from indusladies.

Believe me there is no connection between baby's behaviour and eating pattern. There is no proven research which says that chubby babies are smarter or they sleep better. If you are worry about your baby's weight with some particular reason than we will be always here to help you out..

I know this is not the answer you are looking for but I just felt that I was in same shooes sometime back..I hope I am not hurting your feelings..

Good luck dear
    Love
    Meeta

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008