1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Can I give antibiotics to my baby?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by reshmirn, Jun 3, 2008.

1. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

Dear friends
    My 8months old baby has fever since 2days. Though no cold symptoms, he has slight cough and noisy breathing along with raised body temperature that lowers(on medication) for a short period and then returns.. Doctor prescribed Adol drops & suppositories, cough syrup, nasal drops & antibiotics for 5 days. I’m in dilemma whether to start antibiotics at this early age or not. Will it affect his normal immunity? Won’t he be alright without antibiotics? I need valuable advice from my friends on IL. Please guide...
    Thanks in advance.
    Reshmi

2. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Reshmim,

we all have undergone such dilemma.But no other go. when we see the kids suffering,
    only with antibiotics,the kids will come to normal.
    But any cost don't stop before 5 days.once it is started it should be continued for 5 days.
    If it is ordinary fever, there is no need for antibiotics.if it is viral, only antibiotic can cure it.
    Only option available to us is to prevent. give enough fruit juice specially oranges for vitamin c.In increases resistance. So may be next time kids won't need antibiotics.

3. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

Thanx Kamala for your response. As this is the first time my baby is getting a fever (in his 8 months) I'm so confused and tensed. I admit that vitamin C sources are good to prevent cold/fever etc. But doc has advised not to give him citrus fruits 'coz his skin is prone to eczema and may develop other allergies including asthma(as doc says). I've read that "exposure to antibiotics before the age of 1 may increase chances of childhood asthma".
    Oh God I'm totally confused... Drowning

4. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Reshmirn,

U have to compulsarily give antibiotics. At this early age kids wont ve immunity of their own to combat all kinda infections. Though we wud all prefer to keep kids under 1 years away from antibiotics as much as possible, when she has ainfection its better to start antibiotics rightaway so infection wont spread deep into lungs. give the kid bcomplex drops regularly to keep out suhc seasonal infections.

Regards,
    CC

5. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

Thanx Charu
    So I think I’ll better go for it. This is the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> time you are coming to my help. First my hus’ sinusitis, next my weight prob & now our son’s illness. Thanks a ton Charu for your generosity..Bow
    Luv
    Reshmi

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Reshmi,
    I am a pedi myself. Antibiotics can be given at any age - preterm babies included. Antibiotics kill the bacteria causing the infection - they do not decrease the body's immunity. Of course if left to itself he body may kill those same bacteria by itself too but it may take longer and sometimes that time difference may cause great harm to the body and to life itself. This is not to scare you - only to give you some insight into how these things work.
    As for your baby, why dont you ask your doctor if you can wait for a few days before starting antibiotics? If he feels the infection is severe then he may not want to take the chance. If it is mild then it may be alright to wait. Only a doctor who has examined your baby can judge this. So pls ask him before making a decision. And if you do start make sure you complete the course even if your baby seems better after a day or two. Hope he gets better soon.

Vanathi.

7. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Kamala,

If I am not wrong, antibiotics can only cure bacterial not viral infection. Anyway I am not a pediatrician. Vanathi (screen name: Aadhusmo) is a pediatrician.

Reshmirn,
    I can understand your dilemma. Did the doc explain the rationale behind giving antibiotic. See if you can get a second opinion from another pediatrician.

Thanks,
    Kavya.
    <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_325965", true); </script>

8. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

hi Kavya,
    That was so nice of you..I'd been searchin on the net abt similar topics. let me copy down from what i could collect..
    Appropriate use of antibiotics
    Antibiotics are only effective against infections caused by bacteria, not those caused by viruses. It is appropriate--and important--to use antibiotics for bacterial infections such as middle ear infections, strep throat, and urinary tract infections. However, it is not appropriate to use antibiotics for viral infections like colds and flu. Since most childhood infections are caused by viruses, more often than not, a child will not need an antibiotic for an infection, but each episode should be evaluated separately.

Infants who receive antibiotics in their first year of life are more likely to develop asthma by age 7, and multiple courses of the drugs boost the risk more, a Canadian study suggests.

My mom, a Homoeo doc advised me to to wait for 1 more day before starting antibiotic as most infections at this age may get cured in 3-4 days. I do sponging for him, tried steaming(we both 2gether) once,making him drink more water... wat els am i supposed to do? hope Adhusmom will also come to help.. ( can't go for PM as a new ILite).

Thanks to one and all..
    Luv
    Reshmi

9. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

Dear Mam
    I was actually waiting for your response after posting the same thread in 2 forums(also in Ayurveda & Herbal Medicine). I’d like to get this part cleared:
    Appropriate use of antibiotics
    Antibiotics are only effective against infections caused by bacteria, not those caused by viruses. It is appropriate--and important--to use antibiotics for bacterial infections such as middle ear infections, strep throat, and urinary tract infections. However, it is not appropriate to use antibiotics for viral infections like colds and flu. Since most childhood infections are caused by viruses, more often than not, a child will not need an antibiotic for an infection, but each episode should be evaluated separately.

Infants who receive antibiotics in their first year of life are more likely to develop asthma by age 7, and multiple courses of the drugs boost the risk more, a Canadian study suggests.
    As for my son, he feels and behaves all right once the temp goes down. That must be due to Adol. He had his food 2day, passing urine and stool as usual.. last day could not consult his pedi as she was busy with many patients waiting (main headache is that they don’t entertain appointments by phone) and the baby had 38degree temp then. so had to go in to another doc. Now let me see for today.
    Hope you give me an answer for the above quote from the net.
    Thanks in advance
    Reshmi

10. charuchitthra

charuchitthra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Reshmirn,

Sure as u said viral infections cant be controlled by antibiotics. But a doc ll be able to identify if its viral r bacterial. Kids are prone to viral infections under one year n they ll develop their own immunity. But bacterial infections do occur too. And if doc feels antibiotics are best go for it, as it ll prevent infection from spreading deep into ear r lungs n ll sumtimes help prevent primary complex too. And all antibiotics are not that deadly n jus one use wont cause ur kid to have asthma. There are such antibiotics that are safe for kids to use a few times without any sideeffects. Am sure ur doc wud ve prescribed one of those. The thought that antibiotics are not gud for kid is said because u cant give them antibiotics whener they ve cold r burning micturition as we give elders because tht ll hinder the devlopement of their own immmunity. No website wud say that jus one use of child safe antibiotics ll cause ur child to have any sideeffects. I have a kid 20 months old n I came to Canada during a winter n she caught sum middle ear infection. I had to give her antibiotics . Tht doesnt mean she ll get asthma in future. The point is to make ppl realise tht antibiotics use is limited in kids n so they ve to be preventively managed throughout their primitive years. And one more thing, prolonging the use of necessary antibiotics n stopping them before the prescribed time might render them useless that time r next time. So the doc migth be forced to go for a more powerful antibiotic. So if u ve waited for 3 to 4 days n symptoms persist I suggest u start antibiotics rightaway. Its not a big thing. Remember if that single use of antibiotics ll cause asthma I can assure half of Indian kids wud be asthmatic. Its not so. So don dread n do wats gud for the kid n ease the fever early.

Regards,
    CC