1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding time

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ranirm, Jan 6, 2016.

1. ranirm

ranirm Bronze IL'ite

My baby girl is feeding only 10 mins maximum ..it 5 mins on each breast or she totally sucks 10 mins only one breast and sleeps ..iand some times she feeds only 5 mins totally ..if I wake her up and feed again she cries like hell and resists sucking..is it OK if she feeds only ten mins?will she get enough milk?

2. HKR

HKR New IL'ite

How old is the baby? Older babies(3 months onwards) can suck well and get what they want in 5 to 10 minutes at a time. Younger ones need to spend more time on each breast to get the fatty and filling Hind Milk.

3. ranirm

ranirm Bronze IL'ite

She is only 6 weeks old..how to make her suck more time?

4. Angiee

Angiee Silver IL'ite

Hi Rani,

Is she gaining good weight? If so, then this is not a problem. but the more she sucks, the more will be the milk production.
    May be you can try to soothe her back gently while feeding so that she wont fall asleep again with in 5-10 mins.

5. ranirm

ranirm Bronze IL'ite

She gained about 280 grams in 10 days Is that a good gain?

6. preesmiles

preesmiles Silver IL'ite

The only way to gauge if a baby is getting enough milk is to check if the baby is making enough wet diapers in a day. Weight gain is variable factor, some babies gain quickly initially while some are slower to gain but both types of babies might be healthy.

During baby's check ups the pediatrician can tell you whether your baby is at a good weight, so for now breast feed on demand, trust that your baby knows how much to drink :). Some babies also just tend to be fast and efficient nursers :)Feed from only one side each nursing session so that the baby gets the rich hind milk which comes later.

1 person likes this.
  7. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

When my kid was born really tiny, and had to be fed longer, the ped advised me to rub the behind of his ear to keep him awake, to get a few more minutes of suckling.

Other things were, flicking his soles, or palms..

I also have to tell you, that I felt it is the most torturous thing I have ever done to my son in his lifetime. I used to cry while doing it. Waking a sleeping infant to get some more milk into him, so he could gain a few more grams and reach his target weight?

If you are stronger hearted, you could try them. Also, feed one one side per feeding. So she gets the thicker hind milk. Don't switch breasts.