1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

any info on umbilical granuloma?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by teejay, Dec 30, 2015.

1. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

My baby is 40 days old and he had umbilical granuloma. His pediatrician said its nothing to worry about and that the chord did not dry and fall off frm the root (a bit of it remained in the navel).So he removed the small portion remaining from my baby and bandaged the navel. gave me an antiseptic to apply on the baby's navel and said it will heal in 10 days or so. Now,me being a first time mom, am still worried.Is there any thing else i should know or any safety measures to be taken? any one had similar experience?Kindly share

2. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

Hi Teejay,

My daughter had the same. Initially doc told to keep the area dry and taking care during bath to keep it dry. But it was still oozing yellow substance sometimes and not drying/falling off.

Then another doc suggested applying Neosporin powder every two hours throughout the day. By doing this for 15 days, the granuloma dried off and belly button became normal.

Docs also apply silver nitrate if it doesn't get cured in 3 months. Things you should take care of:

1. It should be kept dry and clean.
    2. Diaper/nappy should not rub on it.
    3. You should not touch it to avoid infection.
    4 Try to air baby's navel 1 hr daily if it is not cold in your place

1 person likes this.
  3. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

Thanks a bunch @cool10. Doc applied silver nitrate 10 days ago.now the belly button seems to be normal. any way i will take the precautions you mentioned.