1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby routine

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sweetum, Dec 24, 2015.

1. sweetum

sweetum Senior IL'ite

Hello Moms out there!

I am a newborn baby who is 3 months old. He is formula fed. The thing which is worrying me is that he doesn't have a fixed sleeping/ feeding schedule. He is fed on demand and daily sleeping/ nap times differ which leave me tired because he still wakes up at night for feeding.

He wakes up at 5-5.30 am daily. How do I set up a schedule for him? I am also finding that he is sleeping a lot during the day. How many naps does a 3month old need during the day?

Can anybody help me with setting up a schedule? I am a first time mom and don't have any elderly person around me to guide me.

Thank you!

Sweetum

2. santoshini

santoshini Silver IL'ite

There's a saying,
    Sleep when the baby sleeps.

i remember this very well.my aunt always advised her daughter to do this when i was a small kid and the same thing is heard from my mil when my co sister gave birth.
    Dont know much about the baby sleep cycles

3. priyasaki

priyasaki Gold IL'ite

Hi,

my son is nearing 2 yrs..

when my son was an infant his sleeping schedule was like ur kid only..
    he will sleep for 12 hrs together and cry for 12 hrs together...
    his schedule got normalized only at 8 months...

in 8 months he sleeps at 10pm and wakes up at 7am(wakes up twice in between for feed) and at 1.2 yrs he slept continuously from 10 to 7 without waking..

it varies from kid to kid.. be strong and eat healthy...

4. preesmiles

preesmiles Silver IL'ite

A 3 month old will take 4 or more naps a day. A wake time chart is a useful guide My Baby Sleep Guide | Your sleep problems, solved!: Average Sleep Charts by Age

So for example, a 3 month old can stay awake only for 1-1.5 hours before feeling tired and wanting a nap. A baby who is not over tired and well rested during the day will sleep better at night. It sounds counter intuitive but that's how it works with babies :) So when baby's eye glaze over, or baby becomes quiet, yawns etc. put the baby to sleep :)

Only after 4 months or so once their circadian rhythms start developing will a baby have something resembling a schedule.That means baby will atleast want to sleep and wake up at the same time. Start a night time routine, so baby learns to associate it with bed time. It could be sometime simple like a feed, change, singing a song etc. For my son we do bath, lotion, nursing and he is out :)

Sleeping through the night is a developmental milestone that different babies attain at different times (anywhere from 8-24 months) unless you decide to sleep train of course. So like others said, rest whenever you can and as the baby grows older he or she will begin to sleep for longer chunks at night. To help the baby learn to sleep on his own, its a good idea to reduce sleep props and try to put baby down to sleep when he is sleepy but awake.

My son had reflux and would barely sleep during the day and would stay awake for hours at night when the 4th month sleep regression hit. So I had to learn up on sleep to help him. Hope this helps you :)

5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP

my baby is 1 1/2 yrs now so I won't rembr much But I do understand first time mom's concerns.

If I rembr correctly, at 3-4 months, my LO was napping 3 times or may be more. I think it is too small age to worry. Let them sleep when they want to. I think by 6-7 months, her routine was in place and anyways it keeps changing. Till 1 yr, they would need 2 naps easily....and their morning nap is longer .

I rembr, my ped had said specially for working moms, by 4th month, try to make them sleep through the night which means if do not wake up for mid night feeds.

6. Sovisu

Sovisu New IL'ite

You can try to feed your baby without moving him , that means when he is not fully awake and still in sleep.This will let him continue his sleep through the night.For me it was different as When I started BFing my baby lying next to her in night she started sleeping through the night.