1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing breastfeeding to 1 month old premie baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Cool10, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I am deeply troubled. I had a preemie baby and she was too weak to suck at breast initially. So we had to give her formula milk via cup and then bottles. My milk supply is also very low due to various hormones taken while being pregnant.

Now after one month my baby is able to suckle at the breast. But we are facing issues:

1. She will suckle for a minute or two but then will get frustrated due to slow flow and start crying for bottle.

2.My milk supply is also very low due to medicines and due to baby not suckling initially. I have been expressing manually but getting only a few ml after hours of effort.

3. Taking ayurvedic medicines to increase supply and flow.

Ladies please help me:

Is it possible after 1 month to switch baby slowly to breast feeding ? Will my supply increase enough to feed her ? Also she is fighting the breast. It breaks my heart to see her crying for bottle milk at breast.

Anyone had similar experience with premie baby being introduces to breast feeding after a delay for 1 month or so ?

2. Soch

Soch Silver IL'ite

Take Garlic fried in pan or with little ghee or some eat with milk also in the morning (Try which ever taste you like), it increases the breast milk, include Garlic in all the food you eat. Also drink hot water/Milk just before feeding her that also increase the flow of milk.

These things we follow in our family to increases the flow, hope it help you also.

1 person likes this.
  3. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

Doctor Advised me that milk secretion will increase only if the baby keeps suckling. Also babies who got introduced to formula milk very early will avoid mother's feed because their stomach gets filled using bottle easily rather suckling for long time.

My suggestion would be keep trying mother feed whenever she is very hungry or sleepy.Also try to express your breastmilk by yourself so that all the pores are open and it would improve secretion.Keep massaging around..My Mil advised me to take fish and dry fish as it would improve milk secretion,but am not sure how far its true.:)

1 person likes this.
  4. preesmiles

preesmiles Silver IL'ite

It is possible to switch baby slowly to breast feeding. Breast milk production is related to the frequency at which milk is removed from the breast due to nursing or pumping. Is it possible for you to get an electric breast pump? That would be the best way to bring up your supply.
    Please look through the links on this page KellyMom.com : Breastfeeding your Premature Infant
    This should give you tons of resources on how to proceed if your baby is a preemie. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

preemie babies may take a little longer to feed from breast.I was a mom of a preemie and this is what i did
    1. got medela electric pump and pumped every four hours once religiously till 4 months and then slowly tried to latch during every feed.if unsuccessful then i pumped and fed. By 6 months my lo was able to latch and feed
    2.eat healthy food,take mother milk herbal tea and garlic boiled in milk

2 people like this.
  6. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much for replying. I will include garlic in my diet. How much garlic should I eat per day ? I am thinking of frying and eating as you suggested. Adding to normal food wouldn't be possible as no one else in my family will eat.

7. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for replying. I am trying to give breast to her as you have suggested - before/after/during every bottle feed. Sometimes she will suckle for a minute or two but usually spits it out. She will either cry for bottle or fall asleep after an angry display on giving my feed :thumbsdown.

I am expressing by pump and hand but supply is becoming even lower.

I am veggie so cant take fish.

8. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

Thank you. I got a manual breast pump and am pumping. I am going through KellyMom site too. Problem is night time pumping is not working for me as I feel too exhausted/sleepy to sit and pump then.

9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes. It is quite possible to switch over to breastfeeding completely.

Religiously pump every 2 hours. Early morning pumping is the best way to increase the stash.

10. preesmiles

preesmiles Silver IL'ite

Cool10, please make sure you are getting lots of rest. Sleep when the baby sleeps during the day. Night time pumping is especially important. The hormone prolactin that stimulates breast milk production is at the highest from 1 am to 6 am. So if you pump at night, you body gets the signal to produce more milk.