1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing breastfeeding to 1 month old premie baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Cool10, Nov 3, 2015.

1. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

Cool10, Soak methi in water over night and drink eat. If you like you can eat those methi too. Methi helps in lactation. Also fennel tea or directly eating fennel would help increase the milk supply. Pump whenever you have time to produce more milk.. garlic helps too, but if your baby has gas issues then limit the usage. I used weleda nursing tea and I really found it benefecial.
    Happy Breastfeeding :)

2. radhaparth2000

radhaparth2000 Platinum IL'ite

@cool10 Congrats on the new born. My daughter almost took 12 weeks to latch. Today she is 10 months old and I am still breastfeeding her. Until 12 weeks I pumped and fed her exclusively. This is what I did

1. Took foods that will to produce more milk and Ayurvedic medicines (Lactacare tablets and Galact Powder) prescribed by my gynec. Both these medicines were suggested by my gynec. These medicines helped for better milk production. I stopped Galact after 12 weeks and Lactacare after 20 weeks.

2. Use a electric pump to pump. It saves so much effort and stress. As you are new mother who is still recovering and trying to catch up with sleep manual pump will make you more frustrated.

3. No need to pump at night. Pump every 3 hours 15 minutes each side. considering 7AM -10 PM, I pumped 5 times a day. Initially the milk may be less, but you will see that it will gradually improve.

4. Initial 12 weeks is when milk production improves, the more you pump your supply will build.

All the best. Keep trying for a latch, that will save all efforts

3. pinktulip2k

pinktulip2k Junior IL'ite

Hi, my baby was also a pre term. I had problems with nipple as well. In the beginning baby used to latch only for few seconds and then cry. Midwife suggested to use nipple shield. With the shield he slowly started sucking longer. In the beginning I had to pump milk. I used to get only 5-10ml of milk. So in the hospital they gave him formula, but after coming home we had no formula. I kept breastfeeding more frequently with the nipple shield almost every 30 minutes. After he was 1.5 months old it got better and he started feeding after longer durations like 2-3 hours. Also my nipple got shape and I stopped using nipple shield. Breastfeeding frequently is baby's way of telling our brain to produce more milk. I know it's very painful to see baby crying as if it's throat will tear. Also it is frustrating to keep feeding as if life was stuck with the same activity. Keep trying dear. I used to watch tv programs or listen to songs while feeding. Entertainment helped me relax. Also I kept changing location like bedroom and then after some times feed in hall to avoid frustration of being stuck at one place. Good luck!