1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

My Lo hits herself often

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Sep 24, 2015.

1. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@sanjuruby3 What milk does she drink everyday? If it is cows milk, then it can severe constipation in some kids.

Was Miralax suggested by paed? One of the side effects of Miralax is it reduces the potassium levels in the body. In turn you have to give banana to keep up the potassium levels. So do not give Miralax on a daily basis.

Kids have a drop in appetite once they are 1 year old. Also with molars and canines coming around the 12-18 month timeframe it will be very painful for them to eat. Believe it is just a phase. Keep offering food. If she likes it let her eat.

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Yes she is on cow's milk. She was on part cows' milk from 6 mons. but did complete switch at about 12 months. We tried adding back formula to her diet for same reasons but did not help.

Yes, even I was surprised somthing suggested not for kids. Her constipation phase is going on from 3 months now. We had seen doc that time and she suggested it. Reading your post on same forum, I had hesitated and never gave her the lax. And tried to stick with natural laxs But nothing worked on her. Moreover, she won't intake. With each doc visit, when I brought up constipation issue, she asked if i gave miralax. This time, finally I took the dive. I am worried and will try to keep up her K-levels with Banana if she eats.

3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

1. Is she doing when she tired and hungry or all the time?

As she is constipated and passing blood in stools, she has cuts in her rectum I think, so it is painful for her and very irritating as a whole for her. Are u applying any cream for her rectum to cure this, apply it 3-4 times, I think u already doing it. (not diaper rash cream, ask doctor for which cream to apply)

So because of constant pain and irritation she is showing her anger by hitting.

2. She should feel that she loved a lot. give plenty of kisses and hugs and put ur hand on her head etc all the time when u r with her. When u come home for few weeks don;t do anything except bathroom needs. u stay with her and play with her , put her in your lap and put ur hand on her hair and talk something. sing rhymes or bedtime songs, tell story with lot smile and laughs and surprising emotions on ur face, she will love that. Till she sleeps, u do, and sleep with her only. Is she sleeping separate in her room? I feel let her sleep with you. She has to think even mommy send me out for few hours she will be with me all the time when she picks me up. Also while doing this send only half day to day care for a week and gradually increase time.

3. don't take away something or pull her towards u but talk to her 2-3 times so she can understand what u r saying and slowly take her towards you smiling. I know how tough after tiring and hectic days how tough to smile, but u will get it as a habit and u like it too, as she will smile and respond positively. Tell ur husband also to love a lot. u both Spend one-on-one time with her.

4. And don't react to her hitting by anger or hitting back, just move away and dont see towards her, let her come to you . Then teach her to say sorry for her misbehavior, and tell it is paining etc.

Try all these patiently, hire somebody to cook, (do inquiry in indian stores to get a cook), appoint cleaning lady, so that u can spend all ur time with her. she will not be angry.

5. Register ur self (ur baby's birhtdate) to babycenter.com, u will get emails for ur kid age what to focus or new in this month for baby. lot of knowledge. it is very good. U will see columns on this hitting in toddlers also.

6. Read some books also in kindle or as a book from amazon.com

I like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Happiest-Todd...sr=1-1&keywords=happiest+toddler+on+the+block

Hope her constipation got better now.

4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

If she drinks "similac advanced stage 2" give it to her, little diluted than said on the tin.
    It can be given till she reaches 2. It can help constipation issue.

I would suggest to give formula till 2 years, as tin itself says so. or morning on formula and night on cows milk. But at least give formula 3 times per a day.

5. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@@sanjuruby3 - Hugs to you and your LO. I am sure it is just a phase and will pass. Meanwhile as others suggested, please hold her hands/distract and do not react to her hitting herself. I am telling this from my personal experience. My son (11 mo old) never hits but he loves to pull my hair. I tell him that it hurts with expression like eyes popping out. So, when I carry him on my hip, he would pull my hair, peep to see if I have any reaction. I then started to ignore and take his hands away from hair. He would try to pull harder and turn his head to look at me. I repeatedly ignored him and this behaviour drastically reduced.

Please take care of her constipation first. I know you already are. Poor baby must be in pain. I hope she gets relieved soon. Once this is taken care, I believe the tantrums will reduce. Others have given you a lot of good suggestions. Give plenty of attention and love to her.

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I'm as her constipation is getting better.

It does worry me though that the day care hasn't changed the poor lite one's nappy. Try have to. It is what you are paying them for. Talk to them about it and ask I'd they would give her special care due to her history. If they won't you might want to start checking out other day cares in your area.

IMO, she is still too little for you to ignore her hitting. You need to engage but tell her firmly that something is not done and distract her. "Be nice." "Hitting is disrespectful." Etc. There is a phase where kids will oppose parents and back chat. There are ways and means of dealing with it. Hitting is not the solution. We as parents need to have diffevent kids of solunions in place. Check out parenting books and shows like supernanny. There is a plethora of information online. It involves moving away from what we've seen in India. It is essential for your child's wellbeing. So, do invest effort and time into it.

7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

OP,

you first mentioned about your dd's bloody stools a few months ago in the summer if I recall correctly. Now it is nearly October. Maybe due to your hectic schedule you have not realized the passage of weeks. So I wanted to make you aware. Your dd's issue persisting for such a long time now, at least couple months is not good for your little baby OP. Maybe she is in so much pain she is hitting herself. If you ask me, it is high time you take this seriously now and find a solution for this problem. Please consult a doc asap and get help for your little baby.

8. sanjuruby3

Hi @1Sandhya - Yes, It has been there from summer 3 months. Same time we came from India and started daycare. It started little bit there in Indian heat but now its everyday story.

We gave her Miralax once. But seems we will have to continue for few days.

I think hitting is her personality change and I am now in dilemma about daycare she goes to.

What I observed: with daycare she has become very insecure. She clings to her soft toys/blanket and won't leave them. At daycare, she is always with it , even at home. She will not sit in a room alone for a minute and will start screaming and crawling towards me.
    Evenings from daycare @ home 5:10pm'ish -..she is exhausted and extremely hungry, thirsty not eaten at daycare. Give her milk ...gulps all then again still will not eat at home. Those 2 hours for us are like in mad house. She is so screamy, stubborny, screams for every small thing...she needs say some book, she will not first ask, then scream but SCREAM continuously pointing to it. So she wants attention all the time. We are so itme compressed in that 2 hours - cook something immediately, feed, bathe, potty if she does, ..before she knocks her self to sleep bearing her tantrums.

Mornings, and weekends she is still calm even if tired in evenings. I think its because she wants attention in the daycare, carried hugged little bit.

Eg If all kids in classroom are moving from room to room, she is slowest crawler but older than everyone else who might be carried. She might crawl 1 step 2 but if can not catch up, she feels left behind. I think she screams/waits to be carried and they want her to come on her own and try to persuade her. At home, when we going outside, she will start clinging suddenly ..feeling mom is leaving me.

Then she does not eat/drink or milk at daycare. Even though their activity chart of the day tells "everything", but talking to teacher, she tells me , not much or little bit.

Earlier she was still happy@daycare. but now...

9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

sanju,

Maybe what I say will sound old fashioned to you but it is what I believe. Health is most important. If possible take leave from your job or arrange to work from home till the stools issue is resolved. If your baby is unwell you are allowed to take leave to take are of it.

As to the other issues, frankly it sounds to me like she is not ready yet for the daycare, or at least the type of daycare you are sending her to. 15 months is very small. If it is at all possible pull her out and try again when she is around 18 months. Around 18-20 months what I remember is that the kids go through a huge shift, emotionally and developmentally also they are ready for change and socialization. It could just be that you have done it a bit too early. If I were in your place I would look for other options till then. The good news is that kids grow and change very fast so even if you do make some changes like WFH or take leave it will be only for a short time till the situation corrects itself. But anyway this bloody stools is top priority now so do the suggested medicines regularly and keep doc in loop. Digestion problem now will lead to other problem later, so dont neglect. It is not correcting by itself so you have to work with the doc to make it go away.

2 people like this.
  10. sanjuruby3

Hi ladies..

Thanks for your support. So finally me and my H after long arguments going for months, decided to go back to nanny from daycare. My H still not happy but agreed at least.

She had fever last night again ...she had it about 12 days before.

Yesterday I went to pick her up early just like that. All kids were playing out. I saw my girl standing out and freezing in cold windy day. I was able to make it from her face and she was not completely covered. Below her nostrils were layers of mucus from nose running. From lips probably she was wiping herself.

Ofcourse there were other kids but all had their heavy jackets on and my daughter had light one that I had given... my bad :-((
    I had assumed they had stopped taking them out. When I picked her up she was freezing and got fever again in the evening.
    Of course it was part my mistake, I should have given one heavy jacket just to keep there. I ask them every day If they need anything for LO. Someone from 4-5 teachers outside could have noticed that her jacket is not enough for that chill outside they could have kept 1-2 kids inside. There were 4-5 teachers with 15 kids.

With such rush of hectic schedule in my life, I do not even think of these things and feed her with tab :-(((( .

Her changing personality, screaming for every small thing at home, insecure at daycare, is triggering me into this. One day my H at evening pickup saw one of daycare teachers scolding very badly to another little cute girl in her group. Did not bother my H but took my sleep from that day on..

After lot of thoughts, I will keep her for few more months. She will miss many good things from daycare but till she is healthy..