1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby not eating food spitting out

Discussion in 'Infants' started by catherine26, Sep 14, 2015.

1. catherine26

catherine26 Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    My baby 10 month old suddenly he refusing food while feeding he spitting out.. What to do? Did I need to change menu? Morning he will eat idli, dosa, Pongal. Afternoon-dal kichidi dinner - rasam rice.. please help..

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Try offering different textures.offer plenty of half boiled vegetables. Make sure he isn't in teething pain and apply teething gel as appropriate.

Another trick is to offer a tiny piece of something he enjoys like a piece if fruit or yoghurt and follow it up in the next 10 seconds with the meal for every morsel. The important bit is to let him go if he refuses food without making a fuss and try again after 30 min. Also it is important to offer only healthy choices and not start offering biscuits and other junk just because that's what the child will accept.

2 people like this.
  3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi catherine26

Welcome to mommyhood ;-) . Not a single day I do not fuss about my Lo's eating. I think its a phase and teething. Per my research, around 1 yr, they go through lot of changes and also need less food/milk as their growth also slows down. Their liking/dislikings change.

I am seeing this phase for around 4 months now and every meal time battle is my LOs victory. She is also having teeth from all places in her mouth - molars etc.

Keep trying, keep offering. This is time when she may think she is independent and try to pick her food. Put food in front of her. And dine with her.

I know I regularly see those times, when I give up and want to her to eat something atleast - be it crackers, biscuits.

My LO has become smart enough that when I was trying to distract her into eating by showing things around, now she has started doing same. My hand with bite comes near her mouth, and she starts pointing me to things, so she does not get to eat.

4. preesmiles

preesmiles Silver IL'ite

Is your baby teething? Babies might refuse food if they are in pain from teething, otherwise it's just a phase that will pass. The important thing is not to force him if he does not want to eat and as guesshoo said try again later. At 10 months your son probably is still drinking formula or breast milk so don't worry if he doesn't eat a meal or two well. He would still be getting enough nutrition from formula or bm. My son is a year old now and there have been times that i have had to put him on his high chair and put food in front of him five times a day, but I also don't make him eat if he doesn't want to. So he is a good eater now apart from an off day here and there and eats all his meals on his own.
    You could also try offering soft cooked vegetables, bits of fruit and see if he likes to pick it up to feed himself.

1 person likes this.
  5. twinklingstar

twinklingstar Gold IL'ite

they also refuse to eat if their stomach is upset or have gases. try giving her fennel extract syrup which u will get in any medical store. this helps babies to digest all they eat.
    what i always do is not feed my dd (9mths) separately. i make her sit with us and give her little whatever we eat. she gets interest in eating but yes this is sure i have to keep lot of patience as i also eat in that speed.
    try this out. might be children have that mentality when they are fed seprately. this worked for me...hope will work for u too:thumbsup