1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Child pooing out blood

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Jul 31, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi

Few weeks back ,we went to India where my child was not eating/drinking well. because of that she was constipated and once blood streak come out with poop.
    Things were okay after that as she started eating.

Then after coming back again he had issues in milk intake etc. At day care she does not drink her milk and water I am not sure they give.

Yesterday : whole day she ate well, drank water and had her milk. She was at home with me so I made sure she eats. I gave her sabudana khichadi for the first time and little bit of besan cheela. Not even 1 adult-size bite.

Today morning, she had milk and then since she was not eating for bkfast, I gave her boiled egg which she likes usually. She ate full egg.

While pooping, she was red faced and pooped out LOT of blood :-((((((((((( Her poop did not look that constipated..yo uknow what I mean.

Then left at daycare, I got called back with in 30 min, that she threw up..while outdoor play. It could be undigested egg.

Little background, she has small mouth and she throws up often. Anything little bigger .. she can not chew in. I still have to mash her blueberries and strawberries..finally chopped does not work for her :-(. If fed forcefully, like medicine etc, she immediately throws up.

Other than that she looks okay and behaving normal. Actually after coming from India, her behavior has been little different. But nothing suspicious..just more active, and stubborn.
    Though I am seeing doc soon and I think i need to work on her diet, But still suggestions from you will help.

2. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Please talk to pediatrician and get their opinion.

1 person likes this.
  3. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Blood in poop definitely needs quick medical attention - even if it is just to ensure nothing is wrong. Take her immediately to the hospital.

4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

So we went to doctor. She did rectal examination. Nothing just quick look, she has small tear. Actually tear looked very minor for that kind of blood. She asked to apply vaseline and giver her miralax as laxative. She pointed Miralax is not recommended for babies by company but they/peds still okay it. That now scared me.

Her stools were not hard but probably tear is delicate.
    My LO does not like sweeter stuff - prunes/ prunes juices/ dates/ milk with sugar etc. With daycare her routine has completely disturbed and has reduced on milk also.
    I am highly in stress right now.

Then she vomits every now and then. If forced to eat, or like the other day - smaller than nail size date piece, she gagged.

5. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@ sanjuruby3 : Constipation and anal tears or a.k.a fissures are very common in infants and elders. Occurs when we put lot of pressure while poo. Don't worry. give lots of fiber and make her poo movement easy. I had a friend whose daughter has the same issue. She always have blood streak if she has anything like pizza or processed foods. She gives her soaked raisins every day to endure that she has a good bowel movement. Try it if you dr. agree to that. I am sure kids will like it because of the sweetness.

6. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Raisin bran cereal is a good option if she likes it!

7. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@sanjuruby3 Miralax is not good for kids on the long run. It tends to reduce the potassium level in the body.

Try giving ajwain/jeera water. This helps avoid constipation.

8. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Looks like some infection, so blood in stools. Did she ate uncooked outside food in India like bhel or pain puri?

did doctor do stool test to rule out e.coli etc type infection?

how is your baby now? Is blood in stools appeared only once? Vomiting also only once ?

then may be nothing serious.

9. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Op,

why is she having such severe constipation? Was she always like this or is this a new development? Maybe you should look at this from the angle of food allergy. It could be that she is unable to digest some of the foods you are giving her. Keep track of the type of foods you are giving and how well she is able to tolerate. Keep a log. And introduce new types of foods very slowly. And are you giving her enough water? Kids these days just dont drink water at all. Offer more water. And dont force her to eat -- that kind of force, then vomit will become a habit and lead to problems later.

10. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

also if bite size is big , kid will try to spit it out,
    but not swallow it and vomit.

nail size bite is ver very small, big bite she is throwing up. did u mention this also with pediatric, to see what doc says