1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

1 yr old not drinking milk suddenly

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Jul 26, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

OMg sandhya13..same here expect I had planned 3 yrs and quoted in front of many friends. Now I myself give her iPad. With lack of time, I am also losing my patience.

Then my work has to start so early in the morning. Everything is going out of control after I came back from India. She was so on schedule for everything.

@ramyaramani - She already has 10 teeth. May be she is cutting more. She takes yogurt but not that much as milk she used to. She just opens her mouth once when given bottle, one drop goes, she rejects. Moreover, I do not want her to have habit of not drinking milk. Then she has started daycare where she is not going to eat well. I seriously hope it will pass.

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

My children hated warm milk, they want to have it cold right from the fridge.

But as said, milk is not necessary at that age anymore. You can give other dairy products like yoghurt and cheese - or other sources of protein like meat or pulses.

3. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@sanjuruby3

What worked for my DS is adding a dates a sweeter in his milk. I warm the dates (1 or2) in water in microwave and once it is soft, add it to his milk and blend it.

I would like to try with Figs next.

4. ramyaveena

ramyaveena New IL'ite

Hi da,

I had the same problem with my DD when she was 1 yr old.She refused to take bottle cried like anything ..was very cranky...tried every measure... i went crazy.

Then a family friend , a pediatrician...asked whether do i change the bottle nipples for every 45 days...he said the kids tongue develops soreness..as they tear( becos of teeth) the nipple as they drink...so it becomes painful whenever she drinks in a bottle ...he suggested to wait for a week ..then change the nipple and try again...bang!!! she drank without any fuss.Give it a try..if you have not looked in that angle

Ramya

Ramya

5. sanjuruby3

Hi Ramya -
    Do you mean new nipple to bottle or different type? Our bottle nipples look okay, no tears, still we need to change. Also this is time she should be out of bottles, so I am holding on buying new ones, as I want to swtich soon.
    I have never changed nipples till level changes.:-((((( Infact, for 6 months she was on nb level (0) as we did not know. It was our mistake completely. Probably that is why she can not handle fast flow till now and starts gagging.

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@sanjuruby3 Has she started drinking milk again? Did you try changing the nipple?

7. sanjuruby3

Hi ramya

Thanks for checking back. .

I am going through multiple issues with her now.

We did not change nipples but bought lot of new sippy cups as we wanted to transfer her sippy cups. That also did not work and only thing she takes from sippy cup is water that too I have to hold and tilt and many times she won'nt for discomfort or effort reasons.

Now she drinks milk at home from me. I have to force a lot and she does not finish it ..but I manage to make 12 ounces min reqmt. But other than that, Its all downfall for me from 1 month back.

On weekdays It gets difficult as she gets nothing into her at daycare, also at morning/even I can not spend lot of time on her to see if healthy eating. I do not know If all kids do that, and its a phase, but right now, I am highly stressed about it. She does not eat/pick anything on her own and daycare does not do anything about it, They just put everything plus crackers in front and she will pick few crackers ( like any of us). No milk, no water at daycare...At home, she used to eat everything before but now... she will not even open mouth.

8. ramyaveena

ramyaveena New IL'ite

Hi da
    Why don't you try some thing like badam milk or pediasure ..there by she takes milk.
    One sure thing happens with my kids...whenever i speak and get anxious about a issue like potty training or mid night wakening...the kid too gets anxious ...so just relax for few days ..then restart by kindling your baby interest by introducing new sipper...and introduce pediasure ..as vanilla milk shake...thats what i did to wean by DD from bottle to sipper..i used Nuby sipper...give it a try.

Yep the nipples has to be changed regularly..thats what my doc said.

Ramya

9. walae11

walae11 New IL'ite

I suggest you one thing that, soon you should contact a doctor. Because if you late it may be serious.

10. sanjuruby3

Docs are not much worried. Though she dropped weight and gained height, but in normal range But as a mom I do not want to wait till she goes in under weight category and feel frustated at meal times.

Doc said, wait for 2 months, if she is loosing lot of weight. And measure fluids intake, if r filling up with fluids more ( like water /juice). ...How can she be?

Now-a days her diet/schedule is -
    Takes morning bottle. She does not eat bkfast. At daycare she does not mouth anything or milk.. may be couple goldfish or crackers They do not give water. Comes home hungry and drinks milk from bottle that I give...again struggle/mess at dinner time...also since no long time after milk. Then to bed.

Does not even let us brush her teeth anymore.