1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

3 week old grunting and squirming

Discussion in 'Infants' started by dsmenon, Jul 16, 2015.

1. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

Hello ladies, I had my son 3 weeks ago. Since past 1.5 weeks he has been grunting and squirming a lot in his sleep. Every time he tries to pass gas he grunts and strains. I feel really helpless. Called ped and she asked me to give simethicone drops. Along with tht I am also doing cycling routines and trying to keep him active. I myself watch what I am eating. He is both bf and ff as i have low supply.

Is there any other way to get him relax??

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Hearty Congratulations @dsmenon! Perhaps new moms can and will help you better but from what I remember (I remember because I was surprised :biggrin2:), my pediatrician then had told me that babies have to learn this. Yes, that is why it feels to moms that he is struggling but actually may not be.

Enjoy your little bundle of joy!

3. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@dsmenon it is very common for new born to do that. Does he cry while passing gas? You can massage his tummy in clockwise apart from cycling. His body is getting used to the milk and FF so don't panic. If he is really cranky or colic then you may want to check with your Doc and change your FF and see.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@dsmenon It is quite common for babies to grunt. It is just a phase and they learn soon. Meanwhile you can apply hing (pinch of hing mixed with warm water) on the navel.

5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Hey Congrats dsmenon:party!!!!

He is just trying to pass gas. Try to eat non gassy food.
    Dissolve a big pinch of heeng(asafoetida )in half a tea spoon of water and apply around the babies navel and surrounding area. Worked well with my baby although the baby did smell of heeng.

6. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

Thank you all lovely moms.. I will apply hing.. took him to the doc 2 tines already and called the ped like 10 times. Now they know me by my sound.. :)

I think I am unnecessarily panicking.. which is what the doc also says..

Will try the hing thing as tht is the only untried solution..