1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

baby feverish after malaria pills

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Jun 19, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

For travelling to India, We gave our baby malaria medicines few days back and tonight is running with fever ~100.5

I called doctor but they are not sure if it is because of malaria medicine. On asking, if I can give tylenol in case fever increases, she asked to check with pharmacist for any drug interactions.

She looks okay and sleeping but was little unsual before going to bed but. She was moving and looks healthy and normal.

I did not find any thing oline.

Do you know any ideas? Is giving tylenol okay? Could malaria medicine - mefloquin be the cause? We are scared as we have long flight coming and thinking of stopping her weekly dose

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Honestly it would be better if you ask about medicine interference with the pharmacist.

I have never given malaria medicine to my LO's. But my friends have done so. Their kids did not have any side effects.

3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @ramyaramani.

We had looked online that night but did not find any drug interaction known. Next morning, when office opened, we called up nurse and were told it was mere coincidence. LO was fine that day but on/off she was getting slight fever few days later and unusual then before. So we decided to stop malaria pills. Do not want sick kid on plane from sickness medicine.

4. Swasha

Swasha Gold IL'ite

Why are you giving Malaria pills??? Is your Kid suffering with Malaria???

5. sonishah32

sonishah32 Junior IL'ite

Malaria fever spreads through female Anopheles mosquito bite. After the medication, fever takes time to subside and it takes like 5-10days for one to get completely fine from malaria. Still, you must visit the doctor in case of such doubts.