1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

First time hair cutting for baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Butterflie, May 13, 2015.

1. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

My baby is 10 months old. I've been told that baby's hair should be offered to god during the first year or I wouldnt be able to do in the second year. Is 2+ years without a haircut a good idea?
    Has anyone got it done for your baby in the US, particularly NJ?
    In india I've never heard of puja being done before the tonsure but here they do. WHy is that?
    I need any info that you guys can give!
    Thanks in advance.

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

For my son I took to a barber shop when he was 10 months and got the hair shaved. No pooja nothing. I simply did that because we had our DD hair shaved off too when she was baby. So just being neutral and please elders. We both don't believe in this rituals but there are better things to fight about with in laws and this does not qualify for one.

3. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

Hi friend,

If you are particular about ceremonial head tonsuring you could collect information at the local Hindu temple, I believe that there is a Satyanarayan temple in NJ. Near Boston, there is this famous south Indian type SriLakshmi temple at Ashland. You could also contact them if they offer such ceremonial services.

Yes, it is a custom that we do the tonsuring before the baby turns 1. Then only we will do AAyushyahomam and ear piercing in our culture. But if for any unavoidable situations, you are unable to do so, you can cut a small amount of hair and keep it separately stored for offering at the family deity's temple when you have the chance. This in Tamil we call 'poomudi".
    After that you could give the baby as much haircuts/ head shaves needed to keep it healthy, if your baby has thick and dense hair it is not advisable to leave it without grooming for the fear of baby catching cold and cough whenever it sweats profusely and as well you give head bath.

Ceremonies are for our good only but if for genuine reasons we could not follow our family customs, it is wise to follow replacement techniques. There is no wrong in it. After all we intend to do what is good for our children, physically and spiritually.

Regards,

Pavithra

4. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

It depends on your situations and your preference. If you want to do it as per your custom go to a near by temple.

For our son, my DH did it with a trimmer at home. We picked a time when he was playful and did it. It was done in about 2 hours. If u go to barber shop or other place make sure you carry his Fav toy etc. to distract him when he gets fuzzy.

5. Butterflie

Butterflie Bronze IL'ite

Thank you chitra,pavitra and viki for sharing your experiences!
    It seems most temples in NJ do it. They just make us cut a little of the baby's hair and later we can go to a barber and get the rest done.

1 person likes this.