1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding water/milk by sippy cups

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, May 4, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi all

My LO is now 10 months old and I have been trying to give her water from soft-spout sippy cup from 6 months. My ped said goal ( for milk also) should be regular/tumbler style sippy cups or tumbler itself by 12-18 months to save tooth decay.

I tried hard spout then and then tumbler style. But she does not know sippy cup is to sip/drink but plays or chews. It gets difficult days we go out as she does not get enough water this way. Now since travelling to India in hot weather, I am desperate as its difficult & unhygienic to give water with spoons while travelling.

Sooner or later I have to try for milk also. I have noticed a new change..some days she wants to sit, not lie down at all so if its her feed time so I kind of put bottle while she is sitting. ..I use regular dr brown bottles.
    do I need something else? some new style/

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Instead of trying different spouts, have you tried giving in regular glass? How about straw cups?

Babies associate bottles with not just milk but as a source of comfort. So the transition to dippy cups would take time.

Check out travel dippy cups. They come with hard spout and are NON spill proof. I started using this when LO was 6 months old. By 7 months he could handle it well.

3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @ramyaramani

I tried regular cup and sippy cup for older infants ( 12mon+) which is more like a glass/tumbler and does not have any spout/straw, putting in mouth and water comes with pressure on lid. She can not control water going in mouth. Suddenly lot of water will come and she will start coughing a lot and then next time she will not mouth it.

Which travel sippy cup did you try and like it? I went to babies store and got over whelmed with 1000 options. Ahh..there are many times for instance.. when some guest is at home, my LO is curious..does not want to lie down for bottle, she likes to sit up and I have to feed from bottle while sitting up. .....I think it is good time to give from sippy cup then.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame