1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

mosquito repellents for infants for travel.

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Apr 22, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

You see I am all gearing up for India travel. Our place in north has extreme of mosquito s and they spray at our places which I do not really like...esc with babies.

I am looking for mosquito repellents but like everything there are 100s of options to confuse.. DEET free..etc, then sprays, ointments (like odomas). Also I am looking on repellent patches that sticks on clothes. but could not find in shops.

Please suggest what is effective and suitable for babies.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@sanjuruby3, when i traveled to india, I used Odomos. many moms swear by it and its supposed to be gentle on the skin (its deet free).

3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@sanjuruby3, my native has a lot of trees and consequently lots of mosquitoes too.

I am wary of applying anything on babies/kids' skin unless absolutely essential. What we would do is to gather lots of neem leaves and burn. The smoke kept mosquitoes away for quite a few days.

When that option was not available say when travelling, we would switch on the good night.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Ask your pediatrician. Rather than what to look for in a repelant, ask her/him for brand name itself, or you'll go to the store and stand confused in the aisle with so many to choose from. Just get name of good one and order it online.

You may want to try it on baby much before travel itself. On a part of the body where skin is not so delicate. Like knee maybe. To check for reaction.

You do need something that is applied to the baby, as you will also move outdoors too in India, even just to visit relatives. If you use a spray, I suggest spray on your palm and then apply that to baby, as even mild air/wind, baby's movement can cause it to go near face by mistake. This will cause some wastage but worth it.

Sprays are not allowed in carry-on bag. Get a lotion or liquid form in small size to apply an hour of so before landing.

When you pack the repelant, pack it in different suitcases, so if one is lost or delayed, you are not left high and dry.

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sounds old fashioned but after trying odomos and other available coils in India for a year or two, I simply switched to the good old mosquito net! My kids as they grew up began to love it even more and watching us, my FIL also bought one :biggrin2:

1 person likes this.
  6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

When I used to visit my village, may be 20 yrs back, I used to do same trick...find dried neem leaves and burn it..and I was surprised that it worked. :)))) With urbanized india, I do not see neem trees anywhere anymore :-(.

7. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Really? That's scary!!

My folks back home do live in a city but the apartment culture hasn't quite caught up there yet. So we still have the trees :)

If you can bear the smell, there's neem oil. I always bring back a bottle to US to help treat burns and bites.

REI store has some good mosquito repellant. I even found one with neem there.

8. sonishah32

sonishah32 Junior IL'ite

Citronella oil and Eucalyptus oil are effective and efficiently repel the mosquitoes. Good knight products use these natural oils in their mosquito repellent products like fabric roll-on, patches, creams & gel that protects you and your family from mosquitoes. It does not have any pungent smell and odor hence it could be easily applied without hesitation.

9. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I would recommend a mosquito-net (with or without repellent). This one works very well. It's light, packs easily, and comes in a nice little bag. It's quite easy to set up and take down.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Mosquito nets are good but sadly can only be used during nap/night times.
    During the day we definitely need a repellant...esp for those areas where there is a high incidence of dengue and chikungunya both of which are transmitted through day time mosquitoes.
    I have used 'OFF' brand . Works well. Kids had no issues .But it does have deet if I remember right. Another option is to use mosquito repellant clothes . Look for them in REI .

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    sokanasanah likes this.