1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Useful Accessories / Items for Infants

Discussion in 'Infants' started by leena2015, Apr 22, 2015.

1. leena2015

leena2015 New IL'ite

Dear All

I am really confused about which all items (Toys / Accessories) should I buy for baby (2 months old). I see lot many options (Prams, Strollers, Rockers, Swing, Activity Gym etc etc) on web.

While its easier to buy small toys (rattles / sound) but I am not sure whether it is necesssary to go for all major items as mentioned above.

Please advise which of the following items are really good for Baby's overall development and helpful in calming a baby when she is crying:

Prams
    Strollers
    Rockers
    Swing
    Activity Gym

Also mention any other good item which is really helpful :)

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Welcome to Indusladies!

Prams/strollers are useful only if you walk a lot with the baby and you have decent pavements. Tugging a stroller in crowded roads can be very stressful. That said strollers can be very handy in airports, malls etc. Do assess your lifestyle and decide.

You can pick between rocker/swing or activity gym. Rocker can soothe a crying or a colicky baby while activity gym can provide entertainment.

IMO, you do not need any of these items. None of these items are essential for development of baby. All that the baby needs is food, sleep and lots of love. Please bear in mind that many of these contraptions were developed for a different way of life, different climatic conditions (extreme cold which can limit spending time outside).

If you have access to a park your baby can get plenty of entertainment.

As the child grows, you can introduce the baby to different textures using various items found in home and outside like soft cloth, hard bark of tree, leaves, flowers both natural and found in magazines. You can educate and entertain with just a few items found in home. Jingling bangles in various colors, the clothes that you wear can teach colors, texture, kind of cloth etc. Veggies and fruits from teh fridge are another teaching tool. Dont forget the ever favorite spoons, plates and cups. Kids love these. A few board books, music cds, some toy vehicles, dolls - you are set, my friend!

3 people like this.
  3. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

You have got good advise already. 2 months old baby will not need much.Just lots of love food and sleep.

When she grows you can buy toys based on the need.

4. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

You do not need much for a baby. A pram/stroller is useful if you have good pavements but otherwise a sling/baby carrier is better. A sling/carrier can also be used inside to calm the baby and you will have your hands free for example doing chores etc.

Toys are not really needed for infants - maybe 1-2 but you will you get anyway as gifts from friends/family.

5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Activity gym sure is very interesting at that age. They are also starting to develop grasping powers. So its interesting for them. Another 'toy' that was interesting at that age was a mat with some lighting toys attached to it. When I was giving her the tummy time, she use to lie down and watch with a lot of interest.

6. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP

Newborn does not need much other than food, space to sleep and few clothes. but as they grow their needs increase and you will know what you need.

No matter how less you buy, so many things you find waste and each baby is different..

For me:
    1. car seat is mandatory for us in US but stroller is v useful
    2. At 4-5 months, she became curious and wanted to be carried around (inside house) and we had sore backs. We got expensive baby carrier that was hardly used for few weeks.. 15 mins max each time.. so it was waste for us..also because of weather, we were not going out, so unless you plan out..a lot.

3.As @ramya said, activity mat or gym mat - highly recommended. My LO used from 1 month to 6 months easily.
    4. Rockers/Bouncers - do not spend much on it..matter of habit for babies. We had one and she liked it.

FYI We had same confusions, what to buy..what not..everything seemed important in-spite of experienced friends telling not to waste money.. But now after 9 months I think different.