1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Art of Talking to infants

Discussion in 'Infants' started by ILUser07, Apr 21, 2015.

1. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

I am a to-be mom and was curious about how the parents or grand parents keep talking to their little ones though there wont be any response.

I am personally an introvert, talk very less, respond with nodding most of the times. I tried many times to open up and make new friends whenever I change job or move to a new place. But just in a couple of days, people ask me that I am very silent. That is like pouring a drum of water on all my efforts:bang. Not sure how to explain, but it is really tough for me to talk. Don't know why, may be because I am a single child thinkingsmiley

Now that I am expecting, I am wondering if i can engage the little one like other parents. I read on the web that talking gives kids lot of exposure to vocabulary and other things.

Does anyone have tips on this? I just want to be prepared as once the baby arrives we wont have time to browse and learn

2. BlueLotus

BlueLotus Senior IL'ite

Don't worry. When you have a baby it will come automatically to you. During the initial months babies sleep and feed most of the time. Around 3rd/4th month they start becoming aware of their surroundings. Though you might feel they do not understand what you talk you can sing songs and baby talk. When they start babbling you could imitate their tone and respond back. This is how babies learn the basics of having a conversation. Initially you might feel he/she does not listen but gradually they will start responding to you and squeal with delight whenever you respond. Even I am not much of a talker but when it comes to my baby it just comes out naturally. You just need patience which your baby will teach you in no time.

3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

It comes naturally and gradually, as baby will be looking at you, smiling at you, do unga.. unga etc sounds in few months. As baby grows you also start talking to baby by singing, telling stories, or talking day-to-day activities stuff, as u will be involving ur self so much in baby stuff.

Spend more one-on-one time with baby, if you don't talk much when all family members and baby is sitting together (but you will not care who are there when it comes to your baby stuff).

4. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

Thank you for your response. It really gave me some confidence. I will have to wait and see.

5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...the baby will change you. You don't have to make any effort.You will talk about the silliest of things.You will sing and make up stories about everything.Just enjoy the bundle of joy. It is natures way .Even the most mature and serious type will become a mushy silly baby talking mommy.

If you still feel you need help...come back after you have the baby.We will all talk to the baby.

2 people like this.
  6. Nidhi01

Nidhi01 New IL'ite

Thanks to this thread. I feel much better... :)

7. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Its something which comes naturally.. Just wait & watchhugsmiley

8. keethi

keethi Silver IL'ite

Hi ,

We can also play rhymes to our kids and we can also learn and sing it ..