1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

9 months baby- cold and cough

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sanjuruby3, Apr 14, 2015.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi All

My 9mo + old baby is sneezing and coughing and have runny nose since last night. I talked to doc.

I was told to do the following:
    -lemonade drops
    -saline drops in nose
    -vicks vaporrub on feet
    -tylenol is she is uncomfy

Other than these please suggest any other tips. Should I get her checked in person?
    She is playing and as her usual self today. But coughing/sneezing a lot.

Actually she caught it from me :-((( I have been very sick through out weekend.

She had fever (100.8) on Friday & very fussy...and we gave Tylenol that night.

Saturday - no fever.. While I felt she is building cold/cough inside, she did not feed well whole day and even threw up her solids. Me being very sick that day, could not take great care of her myself. With not much help, I had to carry her, play with her and gave her germs. I told my H she is sneezing in between, to keep her away from her,... but..

Sun - Again she threw up her solids in the morning, but she was drinking her FF thankfully & even some solids later at dinner. That day she was pooping black
    :-((( ..No ..I had not given her iron rich or colored food. Nothing external..

Throwing up..I think mostly because my H was overfeeding her both times.

Monday - Pooped fine..I felt relaxed but she then started cold/coughing later in the day which is worse now.

Please suggest. While I still have cold and cough myself, I have to take care of her, feed her. There is no way I can avoid my contact from her fully.

My H, declared not to bathe her and feed her solids - curd ( only thing she can eat anytime), banana, any porridge/khichadi (with rice) , fruit puree... that leaves not enough options..

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Not sure what is lemonade drops, since it was not suggested to me for both my kids.

Steam, steam and steam - Works awesome. Stay with your LO in a closed bathroom and turn on the hot shower. 15 minutes, thrice a day helps a great deal.

Use humidifier when you sleep. Helps a great deal.

Beyond that, just wait and watch.

3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Virus infections comes and goes. Nothing much to do than to provide some relief (tylenol/ibuprofen/paracetamol if fever gets high), provide food that goes down (the appetite goes down when sick), lot of fluids. Probably she got it from you but it is almost impossible to avoid when having a familymember sick.

If the fever continues for more than three days or the child is very weak then visit the doc.

4. Sonali222

Sonali222 Gold IL'ite

Boil some Betel leaves in water and give her that warm water

5. sanjuruby3

Thanks girls..

@ramyaramani - lemonade drops meant - just few drops lemon in water and sugar (optional) . Lemon helps in mucus and sore throat. I was surprised too as in India lemon is thought of doing opposite.

6. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Use humidifier, lots of steam treatment and nose drops of her relief.
    If she accepts give her warm soups or warm apple juice.

If u are okay try to clear her nose using nosefrida.

7. sanjuruby3

We are rubbing her feet with vicks a lot then socks on. We have humidifier constantly running and tried to give steam last night. She does not let us touch her nose or face even in good moods.

Saline nose drops we are little scared of her crying as it irritates the nose.

And we are also giving her less solids as she has threw up many times because of cough.

8. sanjuruby3

Hi All,

So its been more than a week. My girl has been very sick and not eating anything. She has fever coming/going, runny nose/cough and ear infection. She is very fussy many times, gets irrtiated easily and will not even let us touch her face to clean leaking nose.

It started about 2 weeks back. I had cold/cough and she caught from me probably or we had at about same time.
    She had cold/cough/fever & we gave tylenol ...fever was gone but cold/cough stayed & got worse, She stopped eating solids /drinking FF and throwing up a lot on pushing.

We were giving her vicks rub, steam, humidier etc but no improvement and was reducing on food intake.
    Suddenly after about 10 days, she had fever again. Weekend afternoon was sunny and little warm, we went for walk.. thinking sun will be good for her cold.

Came back and an hour later, she had 101.9F...After that her fever keeps coming and going. She has slight ear infection so we have antibiotics for that.

But she does not cooperate.
    Straight no to bottle, and when on fever, I try tylenol, she throws up what ever is in her stomach...completely.

I am in real panic ..and do not understand what to do. To bring her fever down, she has to have tylenol and she is not eating/drinking. Whole night she will keep crying because of fever.
    To make matters worse, My H has high fever, cold/cough and myself still have remaining mucus & cough. Living in small house and no one else to take care, we can not avoid contact. She crying whole night, and needs to carry and move around, he carries her to soothe her..and she demands him to hold her.

Another thing, 3-4 times, we went out for walk in sun, she got sick. Not that sun is hot enough here, and its always little windy and we pack her good is it sun? or wind??? what could it be?
    Doc says It can not be sun. But is it mere coincidence that we go out and come back and find her sick after hours?

Please suggest how to handle the situation.

9. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

It is most probably the ear infection. It is quite common to get ear infection after having a flue as the nasal passages are blocked. It has nothing to do with the weather or the sun. The antibiotics should do the trick and is is important to have a check after 2-3 weeks. The virus has spread to all of you already so no need to try to avoid contact within the family.

You can also get Tylenol (or paracetamol or similar) suppositories that it easer to give to a baby. You can also try to get the fever down by cooling her down (removing clothes, putting a slight damp sheet).

10. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When the weather changes, lot of people get sick. Virus spreads easily causing more people to get sick. Children having lesser immunity fall sick more often.

Yes. It is quite common for babies to not eating anything when they have cold/cough.