1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

baby feeding

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Imsimple, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Imsimple

Imsimple New IL'ite

hi all,
    my baby is 10 months old I need your suggestions about his feeding
    1)can I give him fresh (homemade)mix fruit juice & if yes than how much should I give him
    2)can I give him French fries
    3)shoud I give him butter/ghee & how much should I give him everyday

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

1. Fruits as-is is better than giving fruit juices. Fruit juice is just sugar without fiber.
    2. French fries can be given in moderation.
    3. You can use butter/ghee as part of his food. No need to give it separately. I usually put a spoon of ghee in each meal.

2 people like this.
  3. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi OP.

Answer is yes to all 3. You can give fresh fruit juices to your baby..ped said even orgnaic boxed but I would not recommend boxed at all. My baby is same age but have not started fruit juices yet. I do not own juice blender yet otherwise might have given her only few sips. So may b I will start in summer. Do not give a lot of juice.
    French fries ( prefer homemade) can be given if you child eat it. Mine still needs mashed food.

Ghee- normally I add 1-2 drops in her porridges .Upma kind of things - I roast in ghee.

1 person likes this.
  4. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

I agree with what the above posters have already said and just wanted to add that if it depends whether you are talking about home made french fries which you can even bake in oven or otherwise fry shortly in high quylity oil or you are referring to french fries from some shop, first one you can feed second better not. My dd is bit younger then yours and i give her boiled sweet potato cut in french fry style sticks, later i will fry them with a bit of spices. I give her ghee pritty much daily in her food along with other good oils (rotating system). Fruits i feed as puree or pure (like banana). Even oranges i give like that not as juice. Like Ramyaramani rightly said the fiber is very important. Maybe you can mix fresh home made fruit juice with water if you wish to feed it. Keep in mind that constant sucking on bottles that contain sugary stuff (which fruit juices sadly are - fruitsugar) is bad for teeth.

Edit: forgot to mention that i think its in our case a bit more then a view drops of ghee ... its depending on how much im cooking, im using like 1 tsp. if i steam vegetable i sometimes pour very little bit over it, or i pour oil (on veggies which need oil to make the vitamins usable for body like carrot)

2 people like this.
  5. sanjuruby3

@RedRuby - Do you give oranges or orange juice to our baby?

Mine is 9+months and I want to..but scared as they say citrus causes skin sensitivities and can cause rashes. I once handed clementine orange (small orange) piece, she loved it so much ..but swallowed and gagged so my H never let me give again. Also she had minor rash next day which kind of led me towards not giving her again.

I do feed her mashed grapes but too much work as she can not gags on skin, only flesh.

6. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

@Sanjuruby3 yes i give her the fruit not the juice, the clementine oranges you mean where actually her first solid food! She doesnt get rashes from it, i was very much concerned so i checked often. I guess she isnt sensitive to it as i ate too much of them during pregnancy (specially early stages). Hubby´s family has own orange plantation so its somehow in her genes as its an basic food for them. I make sure they dont contain seeds. I give her one peace big enough she can hold in her fist and i can see the ends on both sides coming out. She usually sucks the juice out and eats a little of it. If the peace she has in her mouth is too big we actually get it with our finger out and hand her a new peace. If the one she has is sucked out fully we too exchange it simply with a new peace. I try to not give her daily but every alternate day its fine.
    My favourites to feed her are

• melon (the yellow ones like guantalope or honey melon) I give a slice with peel on so its less slippy
    • banana (but its quite slippy and frustates her sometimes, then i try to hold it for her, its nice to mash into food too)
    • steamed pear (she has no tooth so i need to "soften" it)
    • mango (too bit slippy and she cant bite it off, she will "suck" peaces off)
    • oranges
    • fruits i give as sauce: strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, banana, pear, passion fruit (very little!), melon, peaches (which i startet to give in peaces now), apple
    I didnt try grapes yet as I was afraid of choking hazard :D

Maybe you can check in the shop if you find a citrus fruit which is more mild or having less acid?

7. sanjuruby3

Thanks a lot @RedRuby. That was very educational for me. I got more options to look now.

I normally give 1-2 typical fruits and then start thinking in grocery stores..what else what else...

8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@RedRuby, excellent suggestions. Its good you introduced a verity to your LO. I also started with everything but somehow she had very specific tastes. Till date (and she is 3 now), she doesnt like oranges.

9. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you @RedRuby for sharing these details. Very informative!!

I have a question and I hope one of you will clarify. I just started solids for my son. I gave him apple sauce - pressure cooked and mashed in food processor. Which fruits (when I give for the first time) do I have to cook, mash and which ones I can give as raw, mashed? My question is from when can I just give him raw fruits (of course mashed)? I think that raw, mashed fruit has higher nutritional value when compared to cooked, mashed ones.

1 person likes this.
  10. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You can give raw mashed foods whenever you feel your LO is ready. I have never cooked any fruit (including Apple) for my kids. Initially started with soft fruits and then moved on to hard ones.

Generally fruits that have higher water content should not be cooked.

1 person likes this.